Chapter 16 - The Temple

It's been 3 weeks and we've seen nothing but mountains, grass lands and forest. No traces of humans anywhere. I've begun the worry about how many towns and city's the Creatures have destroyed.

Every night the screams of children plague my dreams. Along with the thick black smoke that fills the air. Towns turning to ashes by bright red flames are the only images I see at night.

Every now and again I would turn my gaze to the things behind me and I would always see thick black smoke in the air.

Every day for the past 3 weeks have blurred together. The same routine over and over again.

Wake up.

Eat breakfast.

Pack bags.

Ride our horses till noon.

Have a break.

Eat lunch.

Ride till dawn.

Unpack.

Eat dinner.

Sleep.

Thats all we've done. Little talk has been worded throughout the weeks. Jai has lost his spark for humor. Cross and Razor continue to give each other looks. Then there's me. I've become more and more distant with every nightmare. Some nights I wake up drenched with sweat, other nights I wake with one of the guys shaking my shoulders because I've been screaming.

The dreams scare me to death at how realistic they look.

Dark bags circle my eyes from lack of sleep. Not even a sleeping draft helps at night because it makes me feel trapped inside my dream with no way of waking up.

But today, today is different......

We'd camped down for the night after a long and sour ride on our horses. We sat around the small warm camp fire. For some strange reason the flames of the campfire doesn't scare me but instead it comforts me. I've no idea why but it just does.

"How long till we get to the temple?" It was the first sentence I had uttered since leaving Judith's home. I mean, yes I have spoken but that had been only one or two words. They consisted of either.

'I'm fine'

'Thank you'

'Yes'

'No'

'It's nothing'

And my most famous one.

'Don't worry 'bout me'

Yea I know pathetic right?

My question seemed to startle my fellow companions cause they sat stoke still staring at me. I stared back at then making eye contact with each and everyone of them. No one spoke. All of a sudden they broke eye contact with me to share looks with each other. They all looked like fish. Opening and closing their mouths every five seconds.

"Well....?" I encouraged them with a raised eye brow.

"Uhhhhh......" Razor shook his head to compose himself. "We should be there late tomorrow or early in the morning the next day." I nodded my head to them in understanding before getting up and lying on my make shift bed, which consisted of a thin mat and a thin wool blanket. I had no pillow sadly so I used my travel bag.

I fell asleep instantly preparing my self for another nightmare filled dream.

But that did not arise to haunt me instead dreams of a temple like building surrounded by four smaller temples crating a square, filled my head.