Chapter 19 - He needs you, now

Leah

  He’s almost home. Find him… That voice snuck into my sleep for another round. Who is ‘he?’ What is this voice? It sounded distant, but it was all in my mind. But tonight, for the first time, there was a picture. The dark light of a room. I had never seen it before, but something told me it was important. Can you see him? I can. Such a beautiful boy. It would certainly be a shame if he was… gone… The long pauses were killing me.

  “Well, shall we get started?” The sound of a familiar voice made me less nervous, until I realized who’s it was. Sjin: the man who I couldn’t trust for a thing.

  You need to find him… or do you… That internal voice coaxed me.

  “Now, I’ll make this quite simple. Cooperate, and I’ll treat you well. Refuse? Well, let’s just say it won’t be as pleasant.”

  He needs you… He needs you now, Leah Proasheck. There was no mistaking the voice was really talking to me. I wanted to wake up, but I knew I’d lose him if I did. So I continued listening.

  “Duncan, you silly boy. You underestimate my power!” As Sjin spoke, I could hear the faint, muffled cries of an unknown source. “Oh, I’m sorry. Did that hurt you? Maybe that will force you to cooperate.”

  Darling, Leah. Don’t you see? Your Lalna is in trouble, what are you going to do?

  The force of this vision was killing me. I couldn’t wake up, no matter how much I wished I could. My mind couldn’t take me away from the dream, and I couldn’t control myself anymore.

  “What? What’s wrong?” Sjin’s question was answered by Lalna’s screaming. “Funny, it’s not alright when I torture you, but you do it to everyone else. How does it feel, scientist?”

  He’s hurting, but it is over now. But there is more coming. Go find him, Leah. Now is your time. Go, go now…

  The voice faded and faded until it was gone, the picture was gone, and everything was black.

  That very moment I turned free, I woke myself up. I sat up quickly and looked over to my sister, still lying in bed on the opposite side of the room. My heavy breathing caused her to wake up and look over at me.

  “Leah,” she asked. “Is everything alright?” Zoey got up from her bed and came over to me.

  “He’s… he’s hurt…” I relied, referring to Duncan and the rest of my dream.

  “How can you be sure?” Zoey sat down beside me.

  “I saw it. Sjin was there with Duncan,” I explained. “There was this voice that was telling me everything. It told me where he was.”

  “It was just a dream. Duncan is out there somewhere. We’ll find him.”

  “Yeah, he is at SipsCo,” I insisted.

  “Leah,” Zoey was trying to convince me. “It was a dream.”

  Then I found the right nerve to pluck. “What if this was Rythian?”

  “What do you mean?”

  “What if you saw Rythian in a dream; some voice told you where he was,” I spoke with determination. “You hadn’t seen him in months. You’ve been thinking he was dead for a long time. Would you go find him, or just let it go? Even if you were wrong.”

  She paused. “Go find him.”

  “That’s what I thought. Now, I’m going to find him whether you come with me or not.”