Chapter 17

Lena's P.O.V:
   After I comfort my father, I stare at the bed, my hands wringing together. What can I do? I want to go to him. To Derick. I want to make it all better. My wolf agrees with me on the matter, but something feels wrong.
   I stand, grabbing a coat for the forest I have to cross to get to his house. Tying my shoes, I step outside. I walk through the trees and the grass, the sun shining on the dew.
   The house loomed over the trees, a dark mass conquering over the forest. The sky seemed to cloud over, filling the forest with rain. I tred through the sodden grass and leaves on the ground, undetered by my soaked clothes.
  The door looms over me as I walk up the steps reluctantly. Reaching up, I grab the knocker and pull back, letting it swing to the door with an echoing thud. It resonates through the house, causing the forest around me to still.
   The creaking of the door is the only thing to break the silence. There he stands, ruffled hair, eyes red from the sleepless nights he undoubtedly had. Derick narrows his eyes, pulling me inside.
   "What are you doing here?" He snarls at me, his grip digging into my arm. I look him in the eyes, trying to find the Derick I know, my Derick, but all I see is anger and hatred storming within.
   "I came to see you." I whisper, scared to raise my voice from the tightness of his grip. He shook me ruffly, his jaw tight.
   "Didn't you understand the words I said to you? Did you?!" I wince at his tone, tears stinging my eyes. I reach up and touch his face, trying so hard to see the Derick I knew, the one I love.
   Shoving me away, he turns away. Suddenly his shoulders begin to shake. Then he guffaws loudly, the sound echoing through the empty house. Turning, Derick laughs at me, bending over at his waist.
   "You thought I loved you?" He continues to laugh and I cry, tears wetting my face. "You're pathetic. Leave." Derick walks away, down the hall. I turn, tears flowing down my face.
   The wind howls and the rain drenches me, but I'm numb. The wind wips my hair in my face, tears and rain mixing. Maybe the Goddess feels as bad as me.