Demigod Youtubers (The Pack) Part 3

And part 3 comes while I'm having a bad day (it started off great and then just plummeted into frustration and annoyance).  So yeah, that's a thing.  :/  Hopefully my troubles will be resolved easily and all that(who am I kidding, life is never that simple), but here's the next part.  Woo.

Mat PoV

I stare at the ceiling for a while, too uneasy to fall asleep.  After my encounter with Rob, I had forced my body to absorb everything that happened today because my ADHD is refusing to let me fall asleep.  First Kara's odd behavior this morning, then the conversation I had with Preston at lunch, then Athena's close victory, then Vikk's claiming, and finally, my encounter with Rob.

This morning, I woke up without any dreams, which is rare.  I sounded the alarm to wake up my cabin mates and while everyone was getting ready for the day, I had noticed a figure by the lake.  Curiosity came over me and I stealthily walked over to the lake to find Kara sitting alone.  I got a little closer to see what she was doing.

As I get closer, I heard Kara talking and listened to what she said.  "Poseidon, if what Hera said to me last night was true, then I want you to help me make the right choices.  I feel like I can trust you because I don't think you want your son to die.  I don't want Brandon to die either.  I love him.  I really do.  He's been through so much already, and it hurts to see him in pain.  I want him to be happy, you know?

"If Hera is right, I hope I can give Brandon the strength he needs.  If Hera is right, Lachlan is going to play a pivotal role in the fate of humanity, and I might as well.  Hera warned me of the dangers of being close to Brandon and I know it's risky dating one of your sons.  I don't know how you feel about me dating your son, but I won't hurt him on purpose.  I just want him to be happy..."

Kara started to sob and I stood there shocked.  Everyone had questioned if Kara really loved Brandon or if she just wanted the fame.  But as I stood there, I realized just how much Kara loved Brandon.  She was distraught at the possibility of Brandon being in danger with no other demigods around, and if that isn't dedication, I don't know what is.  I don't know if I could ever dedicated enough to do something like that.  I hardly have a grip on everything going on right now, so I could I handle something like that?  So many questions filled my mind at that moment when I heard Kara.  Those questions are still in my mind and many are still unanswered.

Throughout breakfast and my morning activities, what Kara had said lingered through my mind.  Some deep cautious part of me convinced me to work extra hard at the task at hand, partly to prepare for something to happen, partly to take my mind off of Kara's prayer to Poseidon.  Something deep inside of me warned me of danger.  Danger.  Danger.

During dinner, I decided that I needed to distract myself from my own thoughts, so first I ate something, then I decided to mess with Preston.  Stealing stuff is something I actually don't screw up on.  The swap with the tea and the veggie burger went beautifully.  It was the conversation after the prank type of thing that made me uneasy.  Not necessarily the "Preston likes tea" part, but the "understanding not wanting to admit defeat" part.

I didn't let it show, but that single comment from Preston pierced deep into my heart.  Pride has always been a thing among my half brothers and I, especially when they all teamed up on me.  Ever since I was born, I hated admitting that I'm wrong, even when I knew I was.  I don't even have the courage to admit when I'm wrong, even just to myself.  How Preston phrased his sentence in a way that directly correlated with my life is beyond me.  In the back of my mind, I recognize that there's a bit more to the story than that, but my thoughts wander to Vikk's claiming.