19. 20.

19. His POV

One week. That's how long she'd been in our lives and she was changing things like she owned us. We had her at our table every day. People had tried to sit with us but she hadn't even given Rafe a chance to growl at them for coming close. She kindly told anyone that even thought about it, no.
Just no, no sorry, no explanation, no sad look at them like she wanted them to sit with us but we wouldn't allow it. One girl tried to argue, a cheerleader. 'But we're friends, you're practically joined the team!' And our little dynamo had looked disgusted at the girl. 'You know I'm Lu's cousin. You know I argue about the validity of cheerleading and am indignantly suffering the torture that Annie inflicts on me making me join just so she can prove a point. I've been here a week, doing the training three days and I've never even had a conversation with you before now.'

'Well how will we get to know you if you won't sit with us.'

'We? Us? You inviting me to sit with you guys at the table where Annie sits or did you just ask if you could sit here?'

'Well?... euh?.. to sit here?'

'Have you ever joined these guys before?'

'No.'

'Then don't change on my account, sweetie. I'm good here, getting to know my own crowd.'

By now the girl had raised her voice indignantly and the whole place had their eyes on our table.

'I don't see what your problem is. You already have Lucas wrapped around your fingers and Bernie too but now you are hogging the hotties too!'

Milly smiled serenely at her up until then but had suddenly spoken just a bit louder. 'Oh my dear lord.' She turned to Rafe and then looked at each of us with a wicked gleam in her eyes. 'I see what you meant. It must be horrible to be so unreasonably objectified like that. I'm sorry I ever argued with you guys! I never thought guys could be treated like just meat. She even indirectly accused me of being with my cousin, he is like a brother to me for christsake! That is just sooo wrong on so many levels. Boys aren't just there to look pretty for you! They have feelings too!

The girl had run out of the cafeteria and all the guys in the cafeteria had cheered loudly as some idiot, that I suspected was Milly's very own cousin, yelled. "Yeah! Boys have feelings too!"

It was Friday afternoon and I was waiting in the bleachers with Rafe. He didn't even pretend that he wasn't looking at the cheer practice that Milly was part of.

"Bro? What ya thinking?" I asked him.
"I'm thinking that it would have been awesome if we'd met her before."

I nodded, there was nothing to say to that.
"I think we are going to the game tomorrow." He mused.

"Are we now?" I replied looking at him rather surprised.
"Yeah. I think your girl could use the backup."

"Oh? She my girl now? Is she?"
"Yep. She just doesn't know it yet." He grinned wickedly.

I shook my head at his stupidity but didn't manage to hide the smile that wanted to break free at the thought.

When they finished we started walking over to her and from the other side of the field the footballers did the same. Lucas and his disgusting friend were aiming for Milly too. Annie talked to everyone that wanted to have a minute of her time, she was genuine like that. Thankfully we got to Milly first. I was starting to hate Bernie, he never bothered me before. It was just his MO to date a girl until he got what he wanted, didn't affect me, but now that he'd clearly set his sights on this particular girl I suddenly despised him.