5. 6.

5. Lucas's POV

Damned Susie. I knew that she always hung out with us and she was Annie's friend since preschool but she was such a b!tch. Milly always shoved her mouth full of food when she wanted to be really nasty to someone but she was going through her food too fast to last her for the rest of lunch. I glanced at her but did the same as her. Head down and eat... don't respond. Like I couldn't take care of myself, she made me sound like a pussy. Bernie was my best ever friend and he knew us both, he also knew why Milly was filling her face like that.

"Hey Susie?" He said softly catching everyone's attention.
"What?!" She snapped at him.

"What makes you think we care about your opinions? If they have a problem with what the other one is doing, they'll sort it out. And as for Rafe and Daryl, I really don't think they would be so unreasonable that they'd hurt the new girl or Lucas just because she cracked a joke when she walked past them."

There was a hum of agreement at our table. I glanced up to see Daryl looking at us, at Milly. He looked thoughtful not vengeful. I couldn't blame him. My cousin was raised by my uncle, her mum died and mine left my dad for a richer guy. Dad made her sign something that she happily signed, revoking any claim on me, then he got stinking filthy rich and she had lost the only card she might have been able to draw to get more money from dad. She wasn't down about it for long, just found herself an older rich guy and had a kid with him. My uncle dated but his daughter and sons came first so Milly grew up with an old lady that was her nanny, their houskeeper and a substitute grandmother to us both. We'd always lived in a different town from each other but we still saw each other heaps. Milly was the baby, born almost eleven years after her youngest older brother, she had three. Her mum died when she was seven. Milly wasn't a typical girl in any way. I had no idea what he was thinking but I'm sure it would be interesting. There weren't many girls that made it into the coach's group, they probably didn't want to either.

Susie was furious at Bernie for talking to her like that. "You! You are just a cra_"
Milly swallowed and cut Susie off. "Careful!" Was all she said, voice subzero, before she put her last fries in.
"Of you? B!tch please!" She replied to Milly with attitude.

"Careful..." I repeated what Milly had said but I said it in a much louder and in an even colder tone of voice.
She looked around and saw that everyone was looking at her in disgust or pity. Her best friend and her boyfriend of the week, Kyle, didn't even look supportive of what she was doing. Burn! I thought, but I didn't say anything. Milly had started stuffing her chocolate cake in. Smart girl. Susie pushed her chair back, not caring that it crashed to the floor drawing attention from everyone to our table. The cafeteria was filled with all the seniors, in other words, everyone in our year was looking at the spectacle that Susie was making of our group.

"You! You are poison! Lucas and Bernie will get hurt because of you!" She screeched pointing to Milly and me. I put a hand on Milly's shoulder and gave her a look. I was less likely to beat up a girl but Susie was pushing it even with me. Bernie stood up at the same time as me and just as slowly. We were way taller than Susie I leaned forward just a bit and calmly said. "It will be in your best interest if you stay away from my cousin and stop talking stupid!" I didn't lower my voice but I didn't yell either. I noticed Bernie sit back down with Milly's hand on his shoulder. Milly put a hand on my arm too and shook her head side ways just a tiny bit just as I wanted to tear verbal strips off Susie. This was a warning. Our sign that there were adults listening, time to be mature. "Pick up your chair Susan and sit down if you can behave like a reasonable human being... or leave."

"Oh My Gód! She's just going to get your ass in the shit and she is already trying to break you away from your friends you ignorant, crazyass, dumb fuc_"