Chapter 20: Queen of Hearts

"Oh! You made it!" The Joker frantically slammed the door shut.

"Barely. I have a concussion thanks to you!"

"Really? That's it?" He walked over to a hand sanitizer canister attached to the wall. It squirted out into his hands and he rubbed them together while kinda woddling down the hallway.

"The fuck- what are you doing in a dress? And crocks? Ew." I caught up to him and soaked in his entire ensemble from his dainty wig to the dreadful black crocks. I tried so hard to hold back some sort of laugh but I just couldn't help it.

"Well I'm glad you're amused. I debated whether I wanted to go with heels or not. I have not a single clue as to why you ladies wear those things cause um, they are not easy to walk in."

"No, they're not." I agreed, a hint of amusement in my voice as we made it outside. I watched him wobble his way down the pavement, obviously uncomfortable with the outfit he was wearing, and whip out some sort of remote. "Are you blowing up the hospital? Even with everyone gone?"

"Yup." He kept walking and pressed the button. I yelped as the building behind us exploded, sending debris and glass everywhere. I couldn't help but stop and stare at the explosion. I had never seen a building explode before. It stopped so abruptly that I figured it had ended. I shrugged in disappointment.

"That's it?"

The Joker looked behind questioningly and pressed the button in a panicked rhythm, grunting in frustration. He and I both jumped in fright when another explosion went off.

The Joker took hold of my hand and yanked me into the back of a bus hauling the rest of the patients off. My eyes criss crossed with dizziness and I gripped my stomach to keep the vomit down as the Joker squeezed in next to me.

"You look a little pale, something troubling you?" Despite his sympathetic question he didn't sound it.

"Maybe if you hadn't slammed my head into the pavement or involved me in your car chase I'd be okay." I replied sarcastically.

"You liked it all, admit it." He stated, pursing his lips and rolling his eyes at me.

"Maybe just a little." I refused to look at him. Mainly because he looked ridiculous in his nurse outfit and I simply couldn't take him seriously. I felt him shuffling next to me and had a water bottle thrown into my lap.

"Ya know, I would've much rather spent the night hearing you tip toe around my apartment and drinking all my booze."

I snapped my head up to look at him. He eyed me rather seriously which took me aback. I thought he was joking. "Uh, thanks. I think."

He licked his lips and leaned in closer, looking me over like eye candy. This time it felt nice to have him look at me that way. "It's Jack by the way and uh, I will skin you alive if you tell anyone." He whispered in my ear while taking his wig off. "Also, I'm sorry to ruin the moment we had going but-" A gun shot fired into the roof and everyone in the bus screamed in fright. The Joker stood up. I sighed heavily and slumped into my seat. Of course he would hijack the bus and no, he wasn't sorry.

xoxo

The bus ride felt like an eternity. I had to witness everyone's panic and teary eyes while I sat unfazed and safe in the back seat. It almost felt wrong in a way, but I was more focused on the fact that he told me his name then anything. His name is Jack. I know the Joker's name. He actually told me... Did that mean something about me or him?

Everyone was silent the entire time, except an annoying guy a few seats away from me who I recognised as a news reporter from the channel I always watched. Those guys talked more then I did.