Smiles Are The Best

A small boy with slightly too long black hair boarded the train after a stiff nod from his even stiffer mother. After walking the length of the train, he decided to sit with a bespeckled boy with shaggy hair.

"Hey, can I sit here?"

"Yeah, sure. I'm James, by the way. James Potter." The shaggy-haired boy called James grinned.

"Sirius. Sirius Black." He sat down across from James. Before he could say anything more, the compartment opened again. Both boys looked up to see a sandy-haired boy with three long scars intersecting his face looking down at his feet, shyly.

"Can I sit here?" He was sure they would say no. He didn't exactly make friends quickly.

"Of course," the other two chorused

"I'm James Potter, and this is Sirius Black," James spoke up, clearly not lacking confidence.

"Remus Lupin," was all he said as he sat down. Before long, they fell into a comfortable conversation.

"I can't wait to play Quidditch. I bet I'll be a chaser. It's a shame first years can't try out. I'd love to be one the team." James spoke very animatedly.

"Eh, it's all fun and cool to watch, but I don't think I'd want to play. Too many rules. Sucks the fun of playing right out. What about you Remus, you play?" Sirius looked at the third boy.

"Not really. I'd much rather keep my feet on the ground, thank you." He looked almost comically stern.

"Then what do you two do for fun?" James looked between them.

"Well, I play games with my brother, try not to piss off my mum. I spend a lot of time out back where I can get some peace out of the house." Sirius nodded as he spoke.

"I enjoy books. My parents are a little protective, so I don't have any friends." Remus looked down at his hands.

"Well, I'll be your friend," both dark haired boys said together. All three of them were howling in laughter when the candy witch opened the door.

"Anything off the trolley, dears?" She asked.

"Just a bar of chocolate for me," Remus replied, passing the proper coinage to the plump woman.

"We'll take the lot," James and Sirius grinned, handing over a whole bag of coins.

"Here," Sirius gave every chocolate bar to Remus. He liked making the smaller boy smile. He vowed he'd do what he could to make that smile appear more often. Remus didn't look like he smiled often.

The boys fell back into the conversation as the train sped along. Sirius made Remus smile 13 times. He counted. And sooner than they expected, the new trio arrived at Hogsmeade station, ready to begin a seven-year adventure together.