Best Friends Aren't Monsters

The first few years carried on without too much incident unless you count James and Sirius having detention every other week, occasionally joined by Peter or Remus. Sirius' favorite were when Remus joined. While James seemed to enjoy Peter's company, Sirius wasn't overly fond of the boy. He tolerated the bumbling buffoon (in Sirius' opinion, anyway) only because he was James' friend and James was Sirius' best friend. Sirius mostly got in trouble for practical jokes and such. Some of these antics were just good fun with his best friend. Others were to make that smile appear on Remus' face that he was so fond of. Sometimes, it was harder to make Remus smile than others. But as stubborn as he was, Sirius never gave up. His friendship with James was different than his friendship with James. James brought out the chaos in him, fuel to the fire. Remus balanced him, the force that could calm a storm. He and James caused trouble and became like brothers, but when Sirius needed to talk about something heavy or needed a shoulder to cry on, it was Remus he went to. By the third year, the quartet had become inseparable.

"Remus, you sure you are ok? You know you can tell me what's going on. I won't tell James and Peter." Sirius had sat across from Remus on his bed.

"You ever have a secret that you know will make people hate you?" Remus looked scared.

"Are you talking about how you disappear every full moon?" Sirius' question was tentative, probing.

"What?" The terror in the other boy's eyes grew.

"I don't mind. I also haven't said anything to the others. I promise." Sirius met and held Remus' eyes.

"How come you don't mind? I'm a monster," Remus whispered.

"No, you aren't. Remus John Lupin, you are the most amazing guy I've ever met. You are kind and funny, and I couldn't ask for a better friend. And even though you have your own problems, you always ask me how I am and listen to my family drama." Sirius had begun to breathe hard. "You are not a monster, you just happen to have a small monthly issue. You could never be a monster."

"Thank you, Sirius. Please don't tell James and Peter."

"Tell James and Peter what?" James interrupted the poignant moment.

"How much of a prat James is, and how he should stop picking on people," Sirius lied with great ease. Remus just smiled.

"Well, come one, love birds, we have an appointment with McGonnagoll." James left the room, chuckling to himself. Remus and Sirius followed, Remus shooting his friend a thankful glance.

"Now your lines will be 'I shall not set off dung bombs in the Headmaster's Office.' Three feet of parchment's worth. You may begin." The only sound was the scratching of a quill on parchment. Sirius sat on one bench with Remus and Peter on another with James. Detention passed without much incident, though James had attempted to turn in a parchment that had the assigned line written so big, it only took one sentence to fill all three feet of parchment.

When they finally finished, they all went to bed and Remus fell asleep, happy, knowing he wouldn't lose his best friend.