Chapter 6- I will never leave you

"Hey" Kara could hear a distant voice calling her it seemed airy and unfamiliar. It wanted her to wake up but the darkness was so comforting, so consuming. Here she felt no anger no fear or danger she wanted to stay. But something told her to open her eyes, that if she kept them closed life would pass her by and even though she wouldn't have to suffer by its cruelty, she would miss the happiness it could bring.

"You are safe now" a woman's tender voice said as Kara started to open her heavy eyes. She looked at the woman sitting beside her. Her red wavy hair fell around her face like a curtain of cascading fire. "I'm Kendra,” she said looking into Kara's azure eyes with her green ones.

"Where am I?" Kara choked out in a raspy voice as she moved her eyes looking around the area. She tried to raise her head to look around but it felt heavy and groggy.  She slumped back onto the bed she was in.

"You are in my tent at the campsite outside the village." Kendra said taking a cup of water from a nearby table and putting it to Kara's lips. Kara drank and gave the woman a grateful smile, or at least tried.

Weakly, Kara raised her right hand to her forehead. "My head hurts... I was with... Yenive at the stream" she said wondering how she had gotten from the stream to the camp. "I was looking at her drawing and- " the memory of Yenive being shot in the back came rising back to Kara. She sat up quickly trying to get out of bed. "Where is she?  She was injured!" she said in panic but Kendra pushed her back down.  Kara slumped back down not because she wanted to, but because her whole body was sore.

"She is Okay. She is resting and healing. Now I suggest you do the same, you used a lot of power from what Marko told me."

"Marko..." She closed her eyes as she remembered all the fighting and blood shed. But most importantly the kiss they shared. She could almost feel the caresses and the beating of his heart as if he were with her now.  She raised a hand to her mouth and put the tip of her fingers on her lips.

That's when she smelled it... the blood. Kara looked at her hands and body, noticing she had been given new clothes and cleaned, but not completely. Some of her nails had dried blood under them, a reminder that you cannot wash away wrong doings like you do with clothes.

How can I be thinking about a damn kiss when I basically massacred those rogues? They were trapped in the ground, prisoners of my power and I crushed them. They may be monsters, which kill indiscriminately but it was I who lost control.  Kara thought as a tear escaped her eye.

At that moment the flap of the tent opened and the bright light of the setting sun blinded Kara for a moment. The tall and prominent figure of a man stepped in saying, "What have you done to make her cry?" In a dangerously deep voice that could only be Marko’s, she could almost hear a growl in the question. 

"Nothing!" Kendra said looking from him to Kara. “She just started to cry!”

Kara sat up on the bed looking at his grey eyes but quickly looked away.

“You should not be moving” Kendra said trying to push her back down, but Kara was having none of that. She swiftly pushed her hands away and continued her weak assent to her feet.

“Kara.” Marko said with a warning in his eyes, she met him with one of her own. Once on her feet Kara walked up to him stopping only a foot from him. “Kar-“ His words stopped when the palm of her hand connected with his cheek. The force of the slap made his head turn, although it seemed he did so more than necessary, she would have probably hurt herself if he hadn't.  He turned his head back to her, his eyes glowing a pale blue, the wolf's eyes. The expression on his face shifted from one of shock, to anger and then confusion.