Chapter 24- Nervous

The ride back to the castle seemed to take forever but Kara wasn’t going to complain not while she was secure in Marko’s protective arms. He was her shield and the only thing keeping her from breaking into tears in front of the war party around them.

As they made their way into the city Kara noticed the peculiar silence around them. The looked around and saw that people lined the streets looking at them. They all had their heads lowered in respect, but you could see it in the tension of their bodies. She knew that they wanted and needed and explanation as to what was happening. Marko got off his horse and helped Kara down only to pick her back up in his arms.

Marko walked up to the center of the crowd and said in a grave voice “Today King Adril of the Vorgon Kingdom attempted to take my mate from me.” he let that linger in the air “Today a war was started between the Vorgon kindom and ours.” Marko said and the crowd immediately began to whisper amongst each other. “As people of this land you understand why we must fight this enemy. What would happen if she were lost.”

“A kingdom without king is not a kingdom,” Roan said form his horse “a kingdom with a broken hearted king can only fall to chaos. And chaos tends to spread because it knows no boundaries, and a king that has nothing to lose has no boundaries.” He paused and looked at Kara for a brief moment. “This is the reason the future queen must be forever cherished and protected.”

“But a war with the Vorgon kingdom…” a young man spoke form the front of the crowd that had formed around them. “The Vorgon kingdom is supposed to be our ally.”

“Not anymore.” Kara said to the man, but it felt wrong to speak of such subjects when her feet weren’t even touching the ground.

Please set me down. She silently told Marko and he did as she asked but kept a tight hold of her by the waits. She was thankful of his support without it she would have probably fallen to her knees. “At least its king is not. He is mad, he wishes to acquire my power and use it to his will, to do the impossible. If he does not succeed in using my power for what he wants, he will have nothing to lose and a whole world to take out his anger on.” She took a deep breath, she was not feeling well even after taking Marko’s blood. “I am sorry… about all of this.” She said looking into the crowd’s eyes or at least those who dared meet her eye.

“I am sorry as well” said King Weiger’s voice from in front of the caravan.

“Father?” Marko asked putting Kara behind him.

“She was out of control out there son. She could have killed you and everyone here. We had an agreement” the king explained coming forward as the crowd made way for their ruler.

“That will no longer be a problem.” Marko said with a warning in his voice.

“Only one way to know.” He looked at a young man about eighteen and the boy nodded in a silent agreement to unspoken words.

The brown eyed boy moved to stand before the king with a posture of complete surrender.

“I want everyone to remain still no one is to interfere not even you son.” He said eying his son coldly. “Keep her there” the commanding sound in his voice made Kara shiver. He had used his Alpha magic to give Marko a direct order. But it was not enough to quiet his growl. “You, dear Kara, must refrain your power from reacting like it always does in situations like this.”

Without any more warning the king took the man’s hand and twisted it abruptly. Kara gasped as the boy yelled in agonizing pain but stayed in his place. The king took the injured hand and bent the fingers back, making everyone cringe in horror.

Kara stepped forwards but Marko held her back. “Stop this. Stop hurting him, it’s not his fault!” she yelled struggling against Marko’s iron grip, but she was powerless against it.