Chapter 8: Issues

Chapter 8: Issues

"So, you're absolutely against the engagement between you and Carol?" I asked Ethan as I stared at the stars twinkling beautifully at the night sky. Thankfully, I just finished preparing everything, with the help of Ethan of course.

Ethan nodded, agreeing with me. What he really wanted to say earlier was that he wanted my favor to help him avoid Carol.

"Yeah, that's why I asked your help." Ethan replied, staring at the dark sky as well.

"Why? Why do you want to avoid her?" I asked out of curiosity. He stared at me before he clicked the roof of his mouth and clasped his hands together. He lets out a heavy sigh before answering my question.

"Because she's really annoying," Ethan replied and I laughed. I thought I was the only one who felt that way about her.

"What?" He asked through laughs and I laughed more when he joined me laughing. I shook my head and stared at him for a moment, clearly looking for some answers.

"You're not alone, Ethan. My situation is way worse than yours," I said and he shrugged approvingly.

"Well, I guess you're right. You're her lady-in-waiting, after all. But, imagine us getting married? My life will be hell," Ethan said and suddenly, I stopped laughing. In an instance, I felt a pang in my chest. I couldn't imagine him getting married, especially if it's Carol.

"Are you okay?" Ethan asked worriedly, knitting his eyebrows in confusion.

"I...I don't know," I said truthfully and shut my mouth. I didn't know what's going on and I was completely wordless. Ethan stared at me with a hysterical look. I forced a smile to extinguish the uprising awkward tension. Thankfully, he smiled back and the awkward tension faded away.

"What's going on?"

We both jerked our heads up only to see Carol giving us a dangerous look. Ethan and I looked at each other realizing we were so close to each other that our heads might touch and our hair brush.

We quickly separated and Ethan cleared his throat. Carol folded her arms and kept sending me death glares. I bit my lip. Clearly, there's nothing going on between Ethan and me. We were just having a good talk.

"Nothing, Carol. We were just talking." Ethan said.

"Talking huh? About what, exactly?" Carol said, narrowing her eyes more and clenching her jaws.

Ethan looked at me, gulping and beads of sweat were starting to drop from his head. He had this look 'Help, please?' I rolled my eyes. Clearly, he didn't know what to answer. I let out a sigh and stood up to answer her back.

"We were talking about our friendship," I said more confidently. But still, looking at Carol straight in the eyes made my knees go weak. Her death glares were getting more dangerous and I gulped rapidly before I realized I was starting to choke on my own saliva.

"Friendship?" She said, raising her eyebrows.

"Yes, friendship. I guess it's the right time to introduce her, Carol. Emma's my childhood friend. We've been best friends since we were five," Ethan said and glanced at me, smiling. I nodded and smiled back. Guess this was our only escape and a reason for Carol to believe.

Carol stared at us for a moment. I bet she was not getting it and I started shaking nervously again, thinking Carol would not believe. By then, she gave us this fake smile and I let out a heavy breath.

"Alright, then. Guess you're having a moment. I leave both of you at once. I'm still having a meeting," Carol said and quickly, Ethan approached her and Carol quickly gave him a kiss on the cheek.