Chapter 25: The Ranch

The rest of the week was pretty tense. Everybody's cramming for the thesis. The library is always full and most of the books are checked out. Internet is not a reliable source. Recently, the network has been hacked and now all the details about the city are pretty much faked.

No one even dared to eat during recess. I looked around and saw plentiful students getting a little thin. Others are pale with dark circles under their eyes. Yes, we look like zombies.

Too many restless days and sleepless nights.

Eve took back what she said. She can't rely much on Jack. Jack is really trying his best to help. Apparently, Jack's helping his father in some sort of business too. So, the rest of the night isn't spent on research.

He's pretty much good about the coronet so we might as well leave the task to him. Amy is interested in helping and so, the two make a pretty good tandem.

Alex and Ethan on the other hand are working on the medallia. Although, Ethan keeps asking some questions to me sometimes which is practically useless cause I don't even know if this is the medallia or not. It would be best if he asks my mom but then again, we can't just go back to the Squatters even if my family is still living there. Chloe mentioned that they're off somewhere safe.

I, on the other hand, am the most relaxed of all. Sure, I do help but my task is switching. Often, I go help with the coronet. Sometimes, I switch to the medallia. Then, Eve has this stupid thought. She says our project would be better if we add something that our professor didn't tell us to do. Like, a momentum of surprise. She believes extra topics are equivalent to extra points.

So, she gave me research: About the death of the royal family.

Sure thing it's very easy but she wanted to dig deep. She believed there may be other reasons why the car slipped. It was a rainy day, perhaps, and so the car slipped because we all know that the Squatter's roads are not built properly.

Jack approached and smiled. "Hey, can you go with me?" He offers.

"Sure," I replied. "Where to?"

"There will be sword fighting and archery training this coming Wednesday. My father wanted to collect all the swords, shields, arrows, and bows in the Ranch," he says. Just then, the rest of the group came over, probably hearing our conversation.

"I'm in!" Alex grimaced.

"Woah," Jack stood up, scratching his head. "I'm only taking one. Frankly, it's Emma."

"Okay." Alex smirked and both Ethan and Amy rolled their eyes. Eve snorted and my cheeks turned hotter. Damn it, I hate butterflies in my stomach.

"Come on, now. Jack and Emma still have a date in the Ranch," Alex teased and chuckled so bad, Eve laughed so loud. All eyes are on us which makes me even redder. God, I hate humiliation.

"Fine,"Jack surrendered, completely blushing. "I'll take all of you."

.

.

"What shall we do with the cursed pirate? What shall we do with a cursed pirate. What shall we do with the cursed pirate? Throw him in the dungeon," Alex sang along and everybody's silent. I, on the other hand, am creeped out. All my hairs on the back of my neck are standing. The singers are like ghost children singing in chorus.

"Okay. I'm done," Jack stopped the car and all of us bolted forward. Jack's a pretty good driver but when the road's deserted, he drives a hundred miles per hour.