Chapter 30: Bloody Camp

"Back to your places everyone," Professor Caine said and everybody went back to where they were seated. We were on the pavilion eating and getting ready for today's event: Capture the Flag. Surprisingly, Carol's not in the mood. Her scowling face had already been attached early this morning. Her glares were even more deathly.

What happened to her? She's been so happy ever since we arrived at camp.

"Okay, listen. Guess what? Who's excited for Capture the Flag?" Professor Caine shouted down with glee and every camper's spirit lifted. Even Carol's scowling face has gone and been replaced by a sly smile. Everybody cheered and happily banged their hands on the table.

"Alright. I guess you're all excited, eh? Ready yourselves campers. Capture the flag we'll be playing at night to make it more challenging. By this morning, ready your weapons. Sharpen or polish them. Train yourselves and make sure to rest. Don't waste any of your time," professor said.

I gulped at the thought of playing the game at night. Seriously? He's got to be kidding me.

"Three teams will be colliding as one. Groups one, three and five will be a blue team. Groups two, four and six will be the red team. The rules are simple: guard your flag and don't let the other team seize it. No maiming and definitely no killing. No going to the river, lads. The current is too strong. The campfire is the finishing line. Whoever reaches the campfire first with the opponent's flag shall be declared the winner," professor finished and the crowd once again erupted to cheers.

Right. Easy rules: Guard your flag, no maiming, no killing and definitely no going to the river.

After eating breakfast, everybody went to their respective team. Everyone's determined. Each group's leaders started to discuss the plan and since I was the leader of my group, I went over to help and strategize. Ethan took over for me while we had our archery and sword fighting since he didn't know I could fight. I couldn't blame him. He really didn't know I knew how, nor did the rest of my team.

Everybody decided to make Jake Mason our team captain, I, as the co-team captain. Jack and Eve would be the ones guarding the flag. Amy, Alex and Jake Mason would be leading the defensive line. Ethan and I would be leading the attackers. Rules were simple: guard the flag, defend our territory which is the board patrol while the attackers will be divided in half to create a diversion.

We started polishing and sharpening our swords and shields. Each camper should have a dozen arrows and a bow, with the string carefully attached and strong enough to bend. Professor gave us armor sets to defend ourselves. More likely, there's really no maiming at all so it's totally safe but the professor knew better.

By noon, territories were being made. On the east, facing the river, is the red team's territory which is our team. In the west, facing the lake, is the blue team's territory which is led by Carol.

By sunset, everybody gathered around to start the game. Professor Caine reminded that this should be a fair fight and everyone should follow the rules.

Everybody's in full Greek armor. Well, except for the helmet. Shields were strapped on their arm, bows hung on the chest and arrows on their back. The swords were strapped to their waist. Some campers started cursing and threatening one another.

I snorted. Yeah right, this will be one bloody camp.

"Don't forget the precautions, players. No maiming, no killing and don't go to the river. It's very dangerous. I will serve as the referee and battlefield medic," he reminded us like a gazillion times and everybody groaned. Professor's been telling us that the whole time. Everybody wants to play already.