Chapter 36: Hush, Hush

"What the hell is going on?"

"I don't know anything about it."

"What do you mean you don't know anything about it?"

"For the last time Emma, I am not behind those recent attacks. I am not capable of such violence."

"But what about the look on his face screaming the word Patriot?"

"I don't know."

Silence.

"I don't know."

I woke up with a sudden jolt, hearing the thunder's loud roar seconds after the lightning flashed across the midnight sky. Despite the chilly and rainy night, I wiped the bead of sweats on my forehead and neck. With a reassuring breath, I went back to bed once again and tried to sleep but I couldn't.

Everything Peter said didn't make any sense at all. The man's intention earlier was very clear. He's depicting violence and threat, a message clear enough to tear the monarchy down and whilst doing it, he was screaming at the Patriot with such pride and honor.

Peter is the only Patriot. Who else could it be, behind all of these recent attacks? And yet he denied earlier when I confronted him about it.

"Is there a spy, Peter?"

"I don't know, but if there is, we're all doomed."

Silence.

"If Amelia will catch us--"

"If Amelia will catch us, then it is over."

The last statement lingered in my head and before I even knew it, I couldn't fall back to sleep without the feeling of dread and fear. No one must know about the secret allegations, not unless it is proven that Peter is not behind all of the attacks and that there really is a spy in the rebels' quarters.

But why? If they wanted to tear the monarchy down, why wouldn't they join us instead? Are they against the idea that the queen's right hand is the leader? are they scared that Peter might turn his back against us?

What if he will really betray us? Could this mean the end of us all who joined the secret revolutionary society? What about my fellow people in the circle? What about my family? What about me?

Before I even knew it, I went to school looking all haggard like a college student who spent all her night for her thesis. My friends looked at me weirdly and I didn't even bother to question their look. I wasn't in the mood joining all the gossip about what happened last night. News spread like a wildfire and now people are scared more than ever. If, whoever's behind all of these wanted to implant fear, then he or she succeeded.

It was lunchtime and Jack joined our group looking all glum just like me. We locked eyes together and I immediately knew what he wanted to talk about.

"I...I need to go to the restroom," I lied and excused myself before heading out of the cafeteria.

"Me too," Jack said and trailed behind my back.

"What's up with those two?" I overheard Alex while Jack and I went outside the cafeteria and I caught Ethan's furrowed eyebrows and confused look. Needless to say, my friends looked at us with the same look plastered on their faces. Right now, we need to act calm or else we'll be caught.

Jack grabbed my wrist and pushed us inside an empty locker room. He looked furious as hell, as if he wanted to strangle someone and he's maddeningly close to me. I cleared my throat and pushed him back slowly.