Chapter 12: Believer

"Oh my gosh! I can't believe the Excelsis Ball will be tomorrow night," Amy squealed and Eve gave her a smirk. We all know Amy couldn't wait for the ball. She had this beautiful white gown dipped with red colors at the bottom of the satin specially made by her best friend, Eve. Eve would be wearing a black gown. I didn't understand why but she said it matches her soul.

Carol would be wearing a white gown filled with sparkling diamonds and whatever jewelries to make it the most fabulous of all. Mine, I didn't know what it is, but I'm happy Eve was the one who made it and as far as I know, it's still in her shop.

Carol's out for the day. Again.

She was in another kingdom which would be having a market trade between. It was actually the duchess's business but Amelia wanted Carol to witness it. I was supposed to come but then again, Carol didn't want others to know about me because there might be paparazzi's or social media. In that case, my job would be leaked.

"Emma, why are you nervous?" Alex asked and I raised my eyebrow in confusion.

"Nervous? What? Why would I be nervous?" I replied and I was actually nervous. My voice was shaking. I stifled a stupid laugh and fidgeted my fingers relentlessly, the way I used to do if I'm scared. Everybody was staring at me ridiculously. Even Ethan was waiting for an answer.

I sigh, "Fine. Okay, so I'm not ready for the ball tomorrow."

"Silly," Amy replied and chuckled, "Everything's gonna be alright. Nobody will know you're Carol's lady-in-waiting because you'll be on the guest list."

"That's the problem!" I exclaimed. Everybody stared at me bewildered. I cleared my throat and continued, "It's my first time to attend this glamorous ball and besides, what if everybody knows I'm Ethan's childhood friend which can be the hundred percent chance to know my freaking secret that I'm just Carol's lady-in waiting? Which by the way will be the reason that I will lose my job."

All of them rolled their eyes. They didn't understand. I was scared and nervous. There would be so many things happening on that night and I couldn't bear to witness each one of them either positive or negative. I rather spend the night tomorrow in the Squatters.

I clutched the necklace my mother gave me before I came here to the palace. There's a long silence before Ethan grabbed my left arm and started walking, trolling me behind.

"Where are we going?" I asked and turned to see the rest smiling at me. Eve raised her eyebrows and smirked. Amy had this wink and Alex with his gorgeous smile. Damn it, this might be another plan.

Ethan didn't answer my question. He kept on walking and I watched his back. I never thought Ethan could be this tall and how he walked gracefully. His hair is flawless and when he turns around, his eyes are gleaming. His eyebrows are thick, yet it just made him more handsome. He was standing in front of me like a Greek God while here I am, drooling over his looks, which made me look like a dog.

"Emma?" He called and suddenly, I was back to reality. Ethan is engaged. He's freaking engaged.

"Where are we going Ethan?" I asked and his lips slightly went upwards. He didn't bother to answer me again but instead, he opened his car door for me. I hesitated at first then sigh. He's probably thinking something stupid and do something foolish. It may be wrong but Carol's not around. Probably the best time to chill off before Excelsis ball.

He turned his car key and the engine roared to life. Before he stepped on the pedal, I stopped him immediately. "Tell me where we are going Ethan. At least I will have an answer for Peter's question later," I said.