Chapter 34: Lionize

Chapter 34: Lionize

"So, you wanna hang out later?"

- E.M.

I crumpled the small piece of paper Ethan gave me before our professor could see. We were actually on a test and it sucked cause I missed school for a week. I didn't know what to answer. All hopes high, I wish I could pass this test.

Jack was struggling as well. The bad news is we might actually fail. The good news is, at least I'm not alone. For the first time, I was actually failing a test. Not that I blamed myself for missing out a week, but at least I could've prepared before showing up with nothing.

I quickly scratched a small piece of paper after a quick glance at our professor who was facing away from us. How Ethan still had the guts to pass something on me, something irrelevant basically and in the middle of a test, I didn't have a clue.

"Sure. What time and where?"

- E. B.

I passed the paper at my back and Eve grumbled as she picked the paper and passed it to Ethan who was at her back. I finished answering, not even caring if my answers were right or wrong. I fidgeted the pen between my fingers as I waited for Ethan's reply. A thought about Carol came across my mind. She has been quiet lately, a little bit passive when she sees me around. And that's great, I guess.

She didn't boss and nag me like she used to. She seemed gentler and didn't call me around more often. I smirked and pressed my eyes closed. Everything's working fine. Carol's afraid of me as it should be. Oh, how the tables have turned.

"Aren't you gonna take it?" Eve hissed from the back and I immediately came back to my senses. I picked the paper and read the message inside.

"Great! I'm gonna go pick you up at 8:30."

- E.M.

Ethan didn't even bother to say where we would be going but needless to say, it might actually be a surprise. After all, I love surprises. I was drifting away with my thoughts when I saw snapping fingers in front of me. I looked up and saw Amy doing it. Eve crossed her arms and rolled her eyes.

"What? Aren't you gonna eat lunch?" Eve snapped. Why was she so pissed off today? I glanced at my watch and saw its past five minutes already. No wonder. She might be so stressed during the exam plus the bother of Ethan and I that it makes her go hungry like crazy. I packed my things fast and went out with them.

Ethan and Alex spotted a vacant table and rushed towards it. Students quickly filled the whole cafeteria and the two asked to reserve a place in line for them. After I ordered, I gestured to Alex to come over to buy his own food as Ethan. I was waiting alone at the table.

"Emma!" Jack suddenly appeared at my table.

"Gross," I said as he picked my apple with his dirty hands. "That's yours now."

"Thanks," he managed to say as he munched on the fruit. "Peter left something for you."

"Is that why you're here?" I asked.

"Yes and no," he said and rolled his eyes. "I came here to give you something from Peter, yes. But I came here to eat lunch with you guys." He said as he got something from his bag and placed it, a small shoe box, probably a kid's shoe, on the table.

"That doesn't make any sense," I rolled my eyes and took the shoe box from the table. I tried to open it but Jack told me not to.

"Peter said to open it when you're alone," he said.

"What's inside?" I asked.

"I dunno," that's all he replied as he munched on another apple. I opened the box a little bit and peeked. My eyes widened. It's the necklace mother gave me, the actual real one. I remembered she asked for it when Ethan and I were on the Squatters. She exchanged it for the replica, the one I'm wearing right now. Why would Peter give this to me? It was with my mother.