Chapter 31: Patriot

Chapter 31: Patriot

Ethan's POV

I stared blankly at the rampaging river, tears streaming down my face. I was left utterly speechless. My chest aches so much I couldn't bear the pain anymore. Eve and Amy hung onto each other and both of them were crying hard. Alex's eyes were very red. Even he couldn't restrain his tears. Carol stared at the pool of blood where Emma once stood before falling in the water.

Emma, my dear sweet Emma. She's dead. Completely gone.

I looked at the spot where Jack jumped in front of Emma to save her. Just like her, he had stumbled on the river bank then fell. I gulped and my eyes watered even more.

Oh, my dear friend Jack.

"Emma," I whispered and found myself walking slowly towards the river bank where Emma once stood. I crouched down, eyes looking side to side, searching for her body.

"Emma!" I splashed my hands on the water and wailed. I couldn't believe this. They were gone. Carol killed them. I balled my fist and called out their names once again, hoping they'd appear somewhere. Everything seems to be a blur, a disastrous nightmare. The current's too strong. It would take a miracle for them to survive.

"Ethan," Carol approached and my breath hitched. I narrowed my eyes and hearing her calling my name makes me wanna strangle her. My anger reached a boiling point and I wasn't not thinking clearly. I'm too upset, having lost them both, seeing them get killed in front of me.

"You," I stood up and faced her, fingers twitching then curling up into tight fists. "You killed them. You're a murderer!"

Without thinking, I lunged at her, shaking her shoulders. Carol didn't fight. She cried relentlessly and immediately, my friends ran toward us and stopped me before I do something stupid. I watched Carol's face plastered with shock. She dropped the gun into the river and it makes me even angrier. That's the only evidence we can use to accuse her for her crimes and she dropped it in the water.

I wailed in anger and pushed her away. Amy ran towards her. Carol curled up and hugged her knees crying. After all she'd done, I couldn't stop myself feeling so sorry for her. Her jealousy had made her go insane and I didn't even seem to notice.

"I'm so sorry," she kept on repeating and no one even dared to talk. Silence lingered in the air and the rain poured harder.

"We need to tell Caine," I said and Carol's head shot up. Her eyes widened in terror and her lips started to tremble. She stood up warily and approached me as if she's pleading mercifully.

"Please, don't." She begged. Her eyes were red like ours and she looked very guilty and scared. She knelt down and hugged my legs, stopping me from walking back towards the camp.

"I didn't kill Emma," Carol pleaded. I paused. I turned towards her and pushed her away. I'd never been so angry all my life.

"You didn't kill her? You shot her, Carol! She fell into the river!" I cried, hands waving in the air because of frustration.

"I promise I didn't! I don't know who shot her in the stomach, but please believe me. I didn't murder her," she protested and begged at the same time. Somehow, I felt like she's telling the truth. I shook my head and turned my back on her, walking away.

"Please!" Carol begged and stopped me from walking once again. "I didn't kill her, I swear!"

"Then who are you gonna blame?" I said angrily. "You're gonna blame us for her death? Is that what you want?"

"Help me," she replied. My eyebrows knitted together and I locked gazes with my friends. Carol's going insane, I swear.

"Help me find the suspect. I promise, I didn't kill her." She said and my arms crossed. I stared at my friends once again who's doubtful. Carol seemed to be telling the truth, but there's no place for trust right now. She was begging us not to tell anybody because she's trying to save her reputation. But what about Emma and Jack? I just couldn't let them be murdered without gaining justice. I couldn't live with myself!