Chapter 35: Spring Day

Ethan fetched me in my room just after I slammed my body in the bed and decided to curl up and sleep. I've had enough fear in one day. Just seeing Amelia and actually scaring me about Carol made me wanna disappear. I told him to just go away, that I'm sick but Ethan knocked the door even louder.

Finally after banging the door perhaps a hundred times, he forcefully entered without my permission and I buried my face in the pillows.

"Ís there something wrong?" he asked, his voice gentle and for a moment I realized it's the first time I heard him talking gently.

"Can't go, " I replied, my voice muffled under the pillows. "I'm sick."

He took the pillows away and pressed his hand on my right cheek. His eyebrows furrowed and said, "No you're not."

I sighed. I straightened up and faced him. He looked at me straight in the eyes, serious yet calm. It took me seconds to register how close we were, facing one another. My eyes lingered on his and for once, I never exactly thought how handsome Ethan is. No wonder Carol is head over heels on this guy.

Awkward tension built up and I immediately looked away and cleared my throat. "I'm not going," I said.

"Why? It'll be fun," he promised.

"Where are we going anyway? "I asked. Right. I don't know where he's gonna take me.

"You'll see," he said with a reassuring smile. I sighed again. With that innocent smile, I can say I trust him for wherever he might be taking me.

We sneaked into the hallways and crept outside the palace. Surprisingly, there weren't many guards on duty. I wonder where they were assigned or if they were just having a break. Wait, guards don't do breaks unless someone will take their place. Nonetheless, we made it outside without any trouble. Anxiety bubbled up inside me when I remember Amelia's words.

Reluctantly, I looked up where Carol's room is. The room's dark and thank god, Carol wasn't standing by the window watching her fiance going out with another woman. A pang of guilt hit me and I stopped short.

"We shouldn't be out here," I said and I started heading back inside the palace.

"Woah, woah. Where are you going?" Ethan caught up and jogged right beside me.

"Back in the palace," I replied.

"Hold on. Not yet," he said and grabbed my wrist, turning me back to where his car was parked. "I told you where to go somewhere else."

I sighed and let Ethan take me towards his car. He opened the car's front door and motioned me to go inside. I was hesitant and I couldn't even meet his eyes and yet, I could feel Ethan's excitement to bring me out of nowhere died down. I felt bad and went inside. He followed in, but he didn't start the engine right away.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"Nothing."

"You seem not yourself lately. Am I bugging you?" he said and then continued, his voice low and small. "We could just postpone this..hang out."

"No, no. It's fine," I replied immediately and he looked up confused. "i'm...fine."

He stared at me and gave me a blank look. He raised his eyebrow like he's saying What the hell's going on? or I need an explanation.

"I'm kind of stressed. That's all," I bit back a lie and thank god Ethan nodded and didn't ask follow-up questions. I told him to start the engine and we headed to where he's bringing me.