Chapter 3: Carol

Chapter 3: Carol

Peter led me to Carol's room. Carol was in the dining room, getting ready for school so we didn't have to worry about getting in her room. He went inside and gestured me to come in. I closed the door me and was amazed with what I saw.

Her room is large and airy, with a view of the garden. It four-poster bed, a round mahogany table with two chairs, a vanity, and a chaise lounge by the window. One wall is lined with bookshelves. There are dressers, an armoire, a sofa, a small breakfast table and a large fireplace.

"Wow," I muttered to myself. I've never seen a room like this. It's huge and beautiful, more exquisite than the rooms seen in magazines owned by rich merchants.

"It's not just this, of course. There are private chambers. That includes a powder room, tea parlor, drawing room, and a dressing room," Peter said, sitting on the sofa who saw that I was filled with awe about this place.

"You know, I've never been a room like this before." I said, running my fingers along the table and other stuff. I suddenly felt the urge to jump on the four-poster bed, and I did. It was so comfortable, it was making me drift to sleep unlike my rickety bed back home.

I Peter and I quickly got up and I cleared my throat. I bit my lip and stood up. Roaming around the room, he showed me the whole suite and gave me some orders and instructions which I didn't really hear because I was distracted by the room.

When we arrived at the main foyer of the room, Peter sat at the sofa again and I sat on one of the plush arm chairs. I enjoyed the moment while Carol was gone.

"Emma, be sure to attend Carol on what she needs. Wake up earlier than she does to prepare her breakfast and thing . At evening, after you tuck Carol into her bed, be sure to report on my chambers. You know where it is, right?" Peter said and I nodded in agreement.

He nodded back to me and left, while I remained in the room alone. The bed was a mess, of course but not too thought of arranging it since I'm a lady-in-waiting now.

But before I could do my job, Peter in once more and said, "Right, I almost forgot. You'll be attending school starting tomorrow. Your stuff is already d."

And with that, he left me once again. I didn't bother to call after him to thank him. Hearing him say I would be going to the city's most prestigious school was a high privilege and I bit my lip in excitement. My heart was pounding with such happiness.

I squealed and jumped in the bed and giggled to myself. I couldn't imagine what a new life this would be. This wasn't so bad after all. Forever servitude is hard, yes, but at least in some ways I could live a royal life.

I went out of the room after I was done arranging Carol's bed. I let out a breath. I could use my time roaming around while Carol was gone.

I walked around with trembling hands as I realized I was lost. I never expected this castle would be this big. I was walking everywhere, at least trying to find my way back to Carol's room. E time I started walking back again, I always ended up to the same place I was before.

After more like fifteen minutes of pacing around, I ended up in the kitchen after taking a sharp left turn on the ground floor. There were stairs going down, ending into a plain wooden door. The kitchen was bustling and messy.

A large wooden table dominated the center of the room. Several cooks in white aprons were busy shouting out orders or stirring things in pots or chopping vegetables. There were five enormous stoves and something seemed to be boiling, simmering, or baking in every one. Scullery maids with soot-smudged faces the fires and the piles of wood stacked at various points of kitchen.