Chapter 15: Perfect

Chapter 15: Perfect

The ballroom door opened and I am greeted by the sea of people inside the ballroom. The once vast area looks small because of the crowd but nonetheless, the ballroom still look perfect. Everything is beautiful.

I walked inside the ball. My chest is thumping so hard. It's my first time to join the ball and most of the people in here are rich and still from the Gem. I probably be the only one from the Squatters.

I keep on walking, hoping I'll spot Amy and Eve or Ethan and Alex. The crowd is too many and the huge gowns are making the floor spaceless. I let out a breath. I'll feel okay if I just spot Anna.

For some reason, I feel so stupid for joining the ball. I don't know what to do for Pete's sake!

"Excuse me?"

I didn't notice that I bumped someone. I actually spaced out and just keep on walking. I turned around only to see Carol staring at me with her brow raised. Immediately, I bowed down to her.

"I'm so sorry, your majesty." I replied gracefully, trying to ease my voice from the uprising nervousness I'm feeling. Carol will not notice me, that's what Peter said. I hope so.

I stand up and she stared at me for a moment. Then, she began to smile. Well, that's a relieve.

"What's your name and where are you from?" She asked.

"I...I am Bella from the Edge, your highness." I replied. I don't know where I came from the name Bella but I'm pretty sure it's from my last name, Bell.

"Oh," she replied, taking a sip from her wine.

"Honey, who are you talking with? You need to prepare yourself for the dance," I look beside Carol only to see Amelia, waiting for Carol to finish her drink then stare intently at me.

"And who is this beautiful lady?" She says gracefully. I'm almost lured in from the way she speaks.

"I'm Bella from the Edge, your majesty." I bowed down once again. My chest is thumping so hard and I feel like my palms are sweating.

Damn it! I'm with Amelia and Carol. I'm really hoping they won't notice me or I'll be doomed.

"Your gown is really beautiful, Bella. Where did you get this?" Amelia asked and stared at the gown.

"From the Adams," I gulp. Aside that I only know one store in the Edge, I'm afraid Amelia or Carol will probably ask if they really do have a gown like this in their shop.

Suddenly, the orchestra started doing some etudes and I excuse myself from the both of them. All those time, Peter was beside Amelia.

He gave me signals to get away from them. He look gorgeous from his suit. Sad to say, I think he can't dance for the night. He's always the assistant of Amelia, like her shadow.

Everybody is in places and formed a one great circle, centering Carol who will dance first. All eyes are on her. Everybody awed when Ethan approached her and place his hands on her hip and hand.

Carol smiled and so does Ethan. The music started and the swayed so gracefully as if they're having their own world.

Ethan is so handsome in his suit but I felt a pang in my chest seeing him with Carol. He looks so happy.

Damn it! Why am I feeling this?

When the music ends and started another, everybody joined in and find partners of their own. Carol was dancing with other men already and Ethan who's nowhere to be seen.