5

John's POV:
I didn't hear from Mika until the next morning, and that had me a little worried. She asked how my "woman search" was going, and it made me chuckle. I so far had had no luck with finding someone that would meet my mother's approval. I decided to try to convince Mika to switch her schedule. But that would take a lot of time that I do not have today.
My phone buzzed, and upon seeing it was my sister, I wanted to ignore it. I swiped and answered, anyway.
"Hey, big bro," she began. "How's the date hunt going?"
"Fine." I pinched my brows together.
"Doesn't sound like it's going fine."
"It is."
"Hm, what's up with you?"
"Got a lot to do."
"I'm on my way to the office, so I'll be there soon to help." Click.

Just what I need to deal with today. Not only am I on an impossible hunt, now I have to deal with the paperwork and my sister.

Mika's POV:
I have been sitting at my kitchen counter for hours, my eyes never leaving this package.

1) How did John even find out where I live?

And

2) What the hell would he send me anyway?

Standing, I make my way to one of my drawers and grab a pair of scissors.

"Here goes nothing." I sigh and begin cutting the tape.
Just as I cut the first piece, my phone rings.
"Hello?"
"Mika, honey, it's your mom."
"I know, mom. I have caller ID." I roll my eyes.
"Don't get smart."
"Sorry, what's up?" I ask, holding the phone to my ear as I still try to open this package.
"I'm going to have to cancel our plans for this weekend."
"Wait; what?" I stop everything I'm doing and hold the phone in my hand.
"I'm going to have to cancel our plans."
"Why?"
"I'm going to be out of town."
"Why?" I pester.
"Jesus, Mika. I have a life, and you don't need to know every detail of it." she laughs. "But if you really must know, I have a date."
"And you're going out of town for it?"
"Well, last month he came here so, it's only fair that this time I go there," she says proudly.
"Okay, mom. You do you." I laugh.
"I will." she pauses. "I've got to finish packing. Talk soon." Click.

My mother, everyone. Always doing strange things for love. I shake my head at her and go back to my task. I cut the remaining piece of tape, and one of the boxes flaps opens. Well, no going back now. I open the last flap and peek at what's inside the box. It's a dress. A long, beautiful, elegant dress. Wait, how does he know my size? I check the tag, and sure enough, it's a size 6. I grab my phone and text him.

Mika: What's with the dress? And how did you know my address and size?

I put my phone down and admire the dress. Hold on, how much did this cost? I run my eyes over the tag at least 5 times before realizing the price has been cut off. Sneaky. I take the dress and hang it in my closet, and when I grab the box, my phone starts ringing. John. Of course.
"Do we have a satisfied customer?" he jokes.
"Answer my questions, and maybe." I bite my lip.
"Okay, truth be told, I found your Facebook, found Sacha's, messaged her, and asked her for your address and dress size."
"Seriously? Just like that?"
"Just like that."
"Then, yes, you have a satisfied customer." I pause. "What does your business even sell?"
"Computers, hardware, anti-virus software, all of that fancy stuff."
"Ah, I see."
"You could wear the dress this weekend, you know." he begins.
"Save your breath." I pause, leaving him hanging. "My mom canceled. If I can switch my flight, I'll be there."
"Well, I'm running out of time to find a date, so if you could check that and let me know by tonight, I'd appreciate it. I mean, as of today, I only have a week." he chuckles.
"Will do."
"I have to go to a meeting now. Talk soon."
"Bye." Click.

Do I really want to do this? I could lie and say I couldn't move my flight, but then if he checks and finds out I lied, who knows what will happen? Alright, let's handle this, honestly. I mean, it's just a charity auction. With all his family, friends, clients, and god knows who else. How bad could it be? Right? I lean against my island counter and open my email; locating my confirmation email, I click the link attached and see if that will lead me to switch flights. Luckily it does. Since I've never flown before, this is all new to me. I scroll up and change the day of my flight to this Thursday and see if I get lucky, especially since I am single.
I'm sorry, there are no remaining seats on the flight you've requested. Please try again.
Damnit, okay, let's try for Friday.
I'm sorry, there are no remaining seats on the flight you've requested. Please try again.
Shit. Saturday is the day of the auction, so I can't do it then. Fuck. I take screenshots of the screens and send them to John with a 'sorry xoxo.'
I mean, if he wants me to try for Saturday, I will, but so far, it's not looking promising.

John's POV:
Fuck I hate meetings. My phone buzzes in my pocket, but I choose to ignore it until she leaves with my sister next to me.
"And, that's what I've come up with for you today." Some perky brunette says.
"I think it's a bit, uh, what's the word I'm looking for, big bro?" Mandi asks, snapping me out of my thoughts.
"Cheap." I finish for her, even though I haven't heard a word.
"Yes, cheap," she repeats.
"Cheap." The brunette says, her feelings obviously hurt.
"This isn't the image we want representing our business," Mandi says. "I'm sorry this meeting is over."
Everyone stands and leaves, but I remain seated.
"Bro, you're free. Go." she laughs.
"I just need a minute."
"Okay, well, I'm off." she kisses my cheek and leaves.
Finally, I grab my phone and unlock it.

Mika: 2 Images Attached
Mika: sorry, xoxo.

Shit. I'm fucked. It's just me and this brunette in the room, so I decided to call her.
"Hello?"
"Hey, how's the flight searching going?"
"You saw how it's going." she sighs.
"How bout you get a ride to the airport, and I'll arrange for my private helicopter to get you, whatever day you want." The brunette looks at me, but I ignore her.
"I mean, I guess that could work, but there's still the hotel thing."
"Nonsense, you'll stay with me."
"But-"
"No buts." I cut her off. "If you don't want to sleep in my bed, I have a guest room." I chuckle.
"Okay. How's Thursday then?"
"I will talk to my pilot and let you know."
"Great."
"Talk soon."
"Xoxo." she laughs into the phone. I laugh too and hang up.
"Girlfriend?" The brunette asks.
"Why are you even still here?"
"Was hoping that you'd change your mind on my 'cheap' image." she shrugs.
"Thought wrong, you can go now."
I walk out, and she follows me.
"Either you leave, or I call security, your choice."
She looks down and turns, walking away. Thank God.

Mika's POV:

Thursday. Oh god. Thursday I meet him. And his family, friends, clients, and god knows who else. Shit, I'm not ready. But if I don't show, it'll look suspicious. Like I'm catfishing him or something. Okay, deep breaths, Mika. You can do this. You've done blind dates before. Think of this like that. Well then, I've got to get my hair done- my roots are horrible. I can't meet everyone like this. I'll have to get a manicure, a pedicure, new jewelry, schedule a waxing- oh god. I hate being a girl sometimes- the things we go through for men. I huff and run a hand through my hair. I hold off on making the many appointments I'll need until John confirms Thursday. I toss my phone. I don't know where, and I fall back onto my couch, letting out a deep sigh.

Here goes nothing, Mika. Thursday, your life changes.