8

Mika's POV:

3 days until I would be walking into a possibly life-changing situation. I was freaking out. I woke up to a text from John and responded before getting a start on my day. I walked to my closet and looked for something to wear. Seeing the dress in the bag, I unzipped it and watch its red sparkly design shine every time it caught the smallest bit of light. Smiling, I really wanted to put it on now. But, knowing I couldn't, I zipped it back up and settled for a too-large sweater and leggings. I sat at my island counter, scrolling through Twitter, when Sacha overtook my screen.
"I did it!" she shouted.
"Hello to you too," I said as I adjusted the sound from my keyboard. "What did you do?"
"I found the perfect Sugar Daddy!" she squealed, clapping.
"What happened to Canada?"
"I ditched him, he couldn't keep up." she shrugged. "Money wise."
"Ah. So another liar?"
"Yep. But guess what else?"
"You got me. What else?"
"He's in LA too!" she paused, holding up a finger. "But wait, there's more!"
"You sound like an infomercial." I laughed.
"Fuck off, you know how you're going to meet yours this week?"
"Yeah?" Please don't say what I think you're going to say.
"I'm going to LA to meet mine too!" Fuck. "So, that means we can ride to the airport together!"
"Yeah, that sounds great." Looking down, I lied to Sacha. "Shit, John's calling. Gotta go!" I hung up without giving her a chance to respond.
Meanwhile, I wanted to rip my hair out and scream at the top of my lungs. Instead, I called John.

"Hey love." he answers.
"UGH!" I shout into the phone.
"Okay," he clears his throat. "Why are you shouting at me?"
"I'm not." I sigh, running my hand down my face. "I'm sorry, I'm just really annoyed."
"About?"
"Sacha. She found herself a new Sugar Daddy in LA and now she wants to ride to the airport together, and meet our guys together, and just ugh."
"And you don't want that? I thought you guys were best friends."
"We are, but I don't know." I sigh again.
"Do you want me to have my pilot get you earlier?" Whoa.
"Is that even an option?"
"It could be. If that's what you want."
"I'll think about it." I bite my lip.
"Good."
"I just can't believe Sacha couldn't find another Sugar Daddy in, literally, any other state, I mean there's like, what? A million people on that app?" I huffed, throwing my arms everywhere.
"Calm down, she can't help where the guy is from. Just take the flight a day early and don't worry about her." he mumbled a 'thank you' before huffing. "Don't let her ruin our time together."
"You're right. I will see you in two days." I smiled, hoping I was making the right decision.
"I will see you in two days." he chuckled. "I've got to go, my mother is here." he sighed. "Wish me luck."
"Good luck." I laughed.

John's POV:

"John!" My mother extended her arms for a hug, I leaned in. "Don't mess up my makeup." Awkward hug it was then.
"Mother, what do I owe the horror?" I asked. (Courtesy of the show "Weeds")
"Stop it. Where's your date?" she extended her arm, flashing her Rolex. "Clock's ticking until our event." she winked.
"She'll be here in two days." I shrugged.
"Make it one." she demanded, sitting on the couch.
"I can't." My mother raised her head so fast I swore she had whiplash.
"Why?" she pestered.
"Personal reasons." I ran my hands through my hair. "Jesus mother, just be glad she's coming."
"I am. But," she stood, gathering her things. "I would like to meet her before the event." she shrugged. "I believe you know why." she blew a kiss and strolled her way out of my office.
"Fuck!" I screamed, shoving all of the papers off my desk, causing my assistant to walk in. "Fuck off!" I shouted, not even looking up at her. I heard her heels click quickly against the marble. I made a mental note to apologize on my way out if she was still here.

I fixed my office after my little breakdown and began to contemplate how I would try to convince Mika to come an extra day early. Would I mention it's to meet my mother? Or would I tell her some lie that I can't wait any longer? Or would I get her down here somehow and then take her to my mother's and be all "Surprise!" Fuck. I hate my mother for ruining everything. I hate her for making my life so miserable.

John: Mika, I'm sorry if I wake you, but would you be interested in coming an extra day early? Xoxo.

My thumb hovered over the send button for what felt like forever. Taking a deep breath and thinking a few more stupid thoughts, I finally released my thumb and let it connect with the send button. I watched my text go from the text box to the little blue box in seconds. I waited for the grey "Delivered" to pop up under my blue box before locking my phone. I tossed it somewhere on my desk and leaned back in my chair, resting my arms above my head.

I spent the night in my office for the first time in months. The first thing I did was check to see if Mika had responded to my text. My "Delivered" became "Read 10:42 AM." Sighing, my eyes went to the top of my screen and I saw it was after noon.

Fuck.

Mika's POV:

"Turns out my LA Sugar Daddy was another bust." Sacha huffed, then realized I wasn't paying attention. "Hello, Mika?"
"He asked me to come a day earlier." I said in disbelief to Sacha.
"I mean, I see where you're coming from that that is a bit odd. But," she paused, sipping her coffee. "Are you going to go or?"
"I'm not going." I said, confidently. "I'm not going at all." Standing, I grabbed my coffee and purse and headed home.