15

Mika's POV:

I wake up when I hear the door open and slam against the wall. My head is pounding and my wrists are so sore. Looking up, I see they're bandaged. Did Craig actually help me in a way?
The bedroom door opens and I cower thinking it's John, but it's a woman. She's terrified to see me in my position. "What the fuck is this?" she screams.
"Help me, please." I say, weakly.
"What the-" she doesn't finish- Craig stabbed her.

Her limp body falls to the ground and I watch a pool of blood form around her onto the white carpet. Screaming, Craig runs over and his bloody hand covers my mouth.
"Shhhh." he hums. "I'm not going to hurt you, okay?" What? "John, we've got a problem here." he shouts and then disappears down the hallway.

I keep staring at the woman, watching the pool of blood get bigger and bigger. The carpet went from white to completely red in a matter of seconds. I gag, hoping I don't vomit, as I tear my eyes away from the poor woman. I haven't prayed since I was nine, but I began whispering a prayer to myself.
"May God hold you in the palm of his hand. Amen." I finish whispering my prayer and look up to see John in the doorway.
"Don't worry, he's sobered up now." Craig says as he begins to clean the blood.
"Shouldn't we get her body out of here first?" John angrily asks.
"Boss, with all due respect, this isn't my first time doing this." Craig says, sitting up to rinse out the bloodied water cloth.
"Whatever." John huffs, then looks at me. I can only imagine my face right now. "Oh, honey, you shouldn't have to see this." He holds up one finger and purses his lips. "Here we go." he grabs a blindfold from a drawer and ear buds. Putting the blindfold over my face and one ear bud in, he puts his mouth against my ear. "Enjoy the music." The second ear bud goes in and some old timely music starts playing and all I see is black.

John's POV:

With Mika's hearing and eyesight currently unavailable, I begin pacing back and forth as Craig cleans up what used to be my assistant.
"Fuck fuck, how am I going to get out of this?" I begin pulling on the ends of my hair.
"Calm dow-"
"Don't tell me to calm down!" I scream, raising a finger at him. "I was with her all night. When they discover she's "missing," I'll be the first door the police knock on. They'll check the security cameras in the hallway. They'll see her enter my place, but you know what they won't see?" I don't even let Craig answer. "Her leaving!" I scream.
"Okay, okay. Don't worry, I'm going to take care of it." Craig rests his gloved hand on my shoulder.
"Just clean up the mess." I whisper, defeated. "Please."
"You know I will." Craig assures, leading me into my living room.

Pouring a drink, I decide to watch a little Sunday Night Baseball to try and take my mind off what's going on in my bedroom.

Key word there, try.

Craig's POV:

After at least two hours, most of the blood is finally gone from the hardwood. The carpet is rolled up, tied closed, and leaning against the wall. Taking off my rubber glove, I grab my phone from my pocket and make a call.

"Hey, it's me, small problem at the boss's apartment. Get down here as fast as you can." I pause, letting him talk. "Yeah, yeah, okay."

While waiting for my men, I take the carpet down to my car. John eyes me as I walk past, but I nod in his direction. He relaxes and goes back to sipping his drink. Once the carpet is in my car, I check to make sure you can't see it and sigh thankfully. Locking my car doors, I hurry back up to John's place.

When I walk in, he's not on the couch. "John?" I slowly walk down the hall. "Buddy?"
I find him in his bedroom, on the floor, cradling his assistant's body. "I'm so sorry Sylvia, this is all my fault." He cries. He's actually crying. Placing my hand on his shoulder, I try to get him to let go. "Come on, bud, my guys are on their way. I'll make you a drink and put you in the guest room."
"No, I need to be here." he mumbles. "I can't leave Mika alone in here."
Looking at the handcuffs, I sigh. "Okay, give me the keys and I'll uncuff her. Then I'll cuff her back in in the guest room and you two can stay away from-"
"No, no keys." he stops me in my tracks.
"What do you mean "no keys?""
"I lost them when I bought the cuffs." he says, weak.
"Jesus." There's a knock on the door. "Okay, well, then come on." I lift him, hearing Sylvia's body thud against the floor. "Let's get you on the bed." Raising a finger at him, I answer the door. "Gentleman, down the hallway."

It's sunrise when the apartment is finally clean and the body is gone. My men take the body and I close the door behind them. John is awake when I go to say goodbye. He has this cold, distant look in his eyes and his lips are tight.
"John? Sir?" Nothing. "I'm uh, leaving now." I put my hand on his shoulder and shake him, he doesn't budge. "Okay, well, you call me if you need anything." Still nothing. "Okay." I let myself out and think of what I'm going to do with the carpet. Then, I come up with an idea. Smiling, I drive home.