13 ➺ THE (SHE)DEVIL'S WORKSHOP

❝YOU DON'T OWN ME, DON'TTRY TO CHANGE ME IN ANYWAY, YOU DON'T OWN ME,DON'T TIE ME DOWN'CAUSE I'D NEVER STAY

YOU DON'T OWN ME, DON'T
TRY TO CHANGE ME IN ANY
WAY, YOU DON'T OWN ME,
DON'T TIE ME DOWN
'CAUSE I'D NEVER STAY.

     GENEVIEVE WAS CONFUSED by the events of last night — that much was clear to Linda, to whom Ginny had run as soon as possible in the desperate need of a long, enlightening discussion. Instead of helping her get rid of those feelings she so despised within herself, the sessions with Dr. Martin were only causing new ones to rise to the surface, and right now, Genevieve didn't care about turning her back on the emotions she was unfamiliar with. She just wanted to understand them. That was what she told Linda, reassuring the woman that she had no intentions to annihilate her, that she simply needed someone to confide in.

     And that was Linda's job, after all, so even if only the thought of having the Shedevil sit on her couch was absolutely strange and scary, Dr. Martin reluctantly let her in.

     "I was worried", Genevieve instantly blurted out, shuffling uncomfortably on her seat as she eyed Linda with a hint of shame in her expression, which confused the therapist — however, granted, Linda was still a little overwhelmed by Ginny's identity, and it took her a while to even realize she had said something. "For a... human", Genevieve then added with a quiet whisper, as if it was some big secret she wanted to keep buried and hidden to avoid anyone figuring it out.

     Nodding, Linda was still staring at the queen with wide eyes. "Right. Well, uh, who is this human you were worried about? A friend? A stranger?", she wondered, and her suggestions made Genevieve snort in amusement. But when she fell into silence and thought, she realized that she didn't have anything better to offer, no good answers, just uncertainty and doubt.

     "Something in between. I may or may not have used my supernatural charms in order to earn his loyalty and share his home", Gen broke into a sheepish smile, causing Linda's already confused eyes to widen only more. Sighing, Genevieve leaned back on the couch and offered a simple shrug as she continued, "I haven't given him the opportunity to become my friend, but if I was so worried about his safety and well-being, I suppose that makes us more than strangers. I'd never be worried for a stranger, obviously", and laughter escaped her lips as she thought about the unbelievable idea — caring for people she didn't know.

     But what did that make Daniel? More than a piece in her game? More than means to an end?

     "Obviously", Linda replied with a hint of sarcasm, which Genevieve failed to hear in her voice. "Well, why is it such a bad thing? Becoming more human, as you've put it... it might be good, too. Feelings don't necessarily hurt, Genevieve", the blonde tried to make the queen things in a different light, but instead of opening her eyes, Linda only made Ginny chuckle.

     "That's precisely what they do, Dr. Martin. Feelings cause agony far worse than imaginable. Physical pain does not compare to heartbreak or fear or worry or longing. Wounds heal and bruises fade, torture can be ended and sometimes, pain is just fleeting. But when your heart is falling apart and those nasty, disgusting emotions stir, there's nothing you can do but suffer. You can't stop it or help it. It's a damn trap, and one that I refuse to fall into", Genevieve explained, her eyes intense and her voice dripping with passion and anger as she stared at Linda and let the therapist hear it.