22 ➺ THE DEVIL LOOKS AFTER HIS OWN

❝I'M THE KING AND YOU'RE THE QUEEN AND WE WILL STUMBLE THROUGH HEAVEN

I'M THE KING AND YOU'RE THE
QUEEN AND WE WILL STUMBLE
THROUGH HEAVEN.

    LUCIFER'S PENTHOUSE WAS filled with uncomfortable silence, as the Devil impatiently waited for his wife to react in any way to the news he had come back home with. But frankly, Genevieve was at a loss of words — she was surprised, but at the same time, angry as some kind of panic forced its way into her racing heart at the thought of Lucifer going back to Heaven with his family and, once again, leaving her behind. Whereas the Devil had once been an angel, the Shedevil was, quite literally, pure Hell and therefore unable to join her husband in Heaven.

     And that was why she finally ended up standing up from the couch and walking over to Lucifer, who was seated by the piano and lazily playing Smoke on the Water. The first thing she did was smack the back of his head in disappointment, unwilling to even think about being abandoned yet again, just when they had managed to find hope in their relationship. Things were finally somewhat good, but if Lucifer were to leave Earth, Genevieve would spiral out of control and become the person she was trying to keep on a leash.

     "What the bloody hell, Gen?", Lucifer yelped as his hand went to touch the spot she had shamelessly slapped, but instead of giving her husband an apologetic look, she merely narrowed her eyes at him and crossed her arms while taking a step back.

     "You're really leaving me again? For Heaven? And here I thought that we could be— I thought that was the last place you'd want to go! So, I ask you, Lucifer, what the bloody hell?", she spat angrily, her hands beginning to shake as she realized how close she was to losing him again. Well, at least she wasn't going to help him climb the stairway to heaven — if anything, she was going to try her hardest to make it impossible for Lucifer and his stupid family.

     She was hurt that Lucifer was making it seem so easy, like Genevieve didn't even matter and leaving her behind was becoming a habit. That eventually caused her eyes to sting again, and cursing, the woman uncrossed her arms so she could wipe the incoming tears before they even had the chance to roll out. "Humans suck. I hate feelings", she simply muttered as she started to walk away.

     But before she could reach the balcony, of which she kind of wanted to jump off in this whirlwind of emotions, Lucifer stood up and rushed after his wife. His hand took hers and as he gently held it, the man flashed a fond smile at Genevieve and shook his head, amused by her assumptions. "I would never do that to you, Gen. Not again. I'm simply asking for your assistance, so I can cut through the gates of Heaven with the Flaming Sword and kick Mum back in where she belongs", he explained, and at this, Genevieve's eyes widened and she looked up at her husband with doubt.

     "You're not leaving me?", she whispered, almost vulnerable as the words slipped from between her lips, which made Lucifer sigh fondly at the emotions she rarely displayed. Closing her in a soft embrace, he held Genevieve close to his chest and placed a gentle kiss atop her head before assuring he had no intentions to turn his back on her ever again. "Then— what's your plan? Why kick your Mother back in? Why not just send her to Hell?", the queen questioned Lucifer's intentions, not quite following. Luckily, Lucifer was beyond willing to elaborate.