17 ➺ BETTER THE (SHE)DEVIL YOU KNOW

❝SO RAISE YOUR GLASS HIGH,FOR TOMORROW WE DIE!❞

SO RAISE YOUR GLASS HIGH,
FOR TOMORROW WE DIE!

    GENEVIEVE HAD GROWN to like alcohol despite her initial reaction to it being absolute and utter disgust at its finest. Perhaps that was exactly what it was supposed to do — to numb, and make her forget that she ever hated the burn of a drink in the back of her throat. It was poison, after all, an addicting intoxicant, and it was causing Genevieve to care less about the uncomfortable first experience.

     But she didn't really think about any of that, as she was trying to keep her feelings and thoughts at a minimum, quieted by the alcohol she attempted to use in order to drown her loud mind and heart. Then again, maybe Genevieve had made a grave mistake coming to Lux — if she was avoiding feelings, perhaps she should have chosen any other club in Los Angeles, instead of the one owned by her husband. And still, there she sat, downing shots by the bar, with Mazikeen standing on the other side of the counter and clearly judging Genevieve and her impressive pace with the drinks. It wasn't like she could get drunk, but she enjoyed the ride nonetheless.

     "Oh, shut up, Mazikeen. I'm sure you can relate", the queen snorted as she lowered another small glass onto the shiny countertop, her eyes returning the glare Maze was shamelessly directing towards her.

     After her chat with Linda, Genevieve had headed out with a thirst for some relief in her system — it had been quite the heavy talk, and Ginny wasn't quite sure if she could handle the truth just yet. She had fled soon after Dr. Martin had asked if she still loved Lucifer, and frankly, Genevieve hated that she couldn't hate him — which was why she just decided to neglect the fire in her heart, put it out, but she just didn't realize that alcohol was bound to only feed the flames.

     "I didn't say anything", Maze defended herself, but with a smirk twisting up her lips, she refilled Genevieve's glass, which made the queen return the hint of a smile. That was their relationship summed up — they insisted on loathing one another, and often proved this by fighting and smacking each other up, yet there were moments when any bystander could have sworn to spot a moment of potential friendship between the two demons. Perhaps it was simply their fierce, demonic personalities getting in the way of what could have been a bond.

     Silence fell between the two, but it didn't last for long, as a familiar, booming voice rose over the music playing in the club, earning Genevieve's attention as she hollowed her cheeks whilst swallowing the drink in her mouth. "Genevieve!", her name was called out, and twirling on the bar stool beneath her, the queen threw her leg atop the other and flashed a dashing smirk at Lucifer, who was approaching through the crowd of party people.

     "Speak of the me", she replied sassily, but once she saw the distress and hints of what looked a lot like fear painted all over Lucifer's face, her eyebrows knitted together. "I, frankly, can't believe I'm about to ask this, but are you okay?", Genevieve tasted the unfamiliar words on the tip of her tongue, and just as she was about to add how disgusting it was, Lucifer had spoken up with a crack in his voice, giving away that he wasn't even nearly as strong as he usually tried to seem.