We Ride A Horse Together

Strider was out of commission, due to his badly damaged saddle.

"How did that even happen?" Link muttered under his breath. "Normally we take such great care of these things..."

Just like Sheik said, my foot was already healing and I could stand on it without Link supporting me. I frowned.

"Sooooo. What does that do about our horse situation?" I asked.

"Makes us a horse short. I'll just walk alongside you and Epona." Link began saddling Epona.

I scanned the shelves inside the stable and saw what looked like two saddles stuck together. "Can't we just use that instead?"

"That?"

"Yeah," I said, pointing to the double saddle thingy. "That."

He paused. "Hey, Epona, girl, think you can carry both Zelda and I at the same time?" The mare snorted. "Who am I kidding, of course you can." He rubbed her head and took the single saddle off, putting the double one on instead.

"I get the front seat!" I called, pulling myself onto her with slight difficulty, since my foot still hurt a little.

"You don't even know how to drive, er, ride a horse!" Link complained.

"Do too. Yo taught me yesterday, remember?"

"Fine, you drive then."

"Thank you for paying me the respect I deserve. But stop that sassafras, Link. I have magic I can use on you when you misbehave."

"Wait a minute. I don't have a saddle horn, Zelda! How am I gonna hold on?"

Oh, yeah, that. How was he going to hold on?

I smiled. "You won't. Problem solved. Now get up here so we can get going."

He pulled himself onto the saddle behind me with a scoff. I grabbed Epona's reins and led her out of the stables. Austin came out and secured two bags onto the back of the saddle.

"Stay safe, Zelda. And Link, keep her safe." He gave us a solemn nod.

"We will, Dad," Link said.

Austin patted his shoulder firmly. "Good. Zelda, contact me when your magic starts working, alright?"

"Yes sir."

"Good."

I spurred Epona and she cantered away from Link's house towards the Gerudo Valley. At first, Link just swayed in his seat.

"Zelda! C'mon, I need to hold onto something or I'm going to fall off."

"Then, I don't know, hold my waist or something."

"Uh...what?"

"Oh my goodness, Link, if you're going to stay on you're going to have to hold onto me. You can hold my hand instead if that makes you less uncomfortable." I batted my eyelashes at him innocently. His blush got redder.

"No, thanks," he replied quickly. "I'd rather just fall over every time we go fast."

I stopped Epona. "Uh, no. That's not going to work. We're not going anywhere until you hold on to me."

"If that's what makes you happy," he grumbled, slipping his arms around my waist. The immediate contact made my heart race. It just dawned on me how close he was, how easy it would be for me to turn around and-

Nope. Think happy thoughts. Happy thoughts. But Link is my friend, being around him makes me happy, soooooooo......

This was getting me nowhere. I spurred Epona and we started again.

That's when I noticed a slight tingling in my hand. It was nothing big, just a slight vibration in my fingers, extending up through my arm and into my heart.

And a ray of ice shot from my fingertips, freezing the ground beside Epona, who got spooked and whinnied noisily, rearing on her back legs. Link would've fallen off her back if he hadn't have been holding onto me, I thought with a smirk.

"Holy-! Zelda, did you do that?" Link exclaimed, now holding onto me for his dear life.

"Yup. Guess it's triggered by my emotions."

"Your emotions?"

"Yeah, I guess you holding me like that must've done the trick. You know, I really gotta thank you, Link! Now I can freeze people! Haha!"

Was my crazy side showing? Gosh darn it. Oh well. I have a legitimate excuse to be crazy. I have had a stressful weekend alright? Geesh, cut me some slack.

Link relaxed his grip as Epona as she calmed. "Don't get carried away, okay? I don't want to die before we even get there."

I shrugged. "Not making any promises."