Break

For MysticWolfFire because yeah. I believe in you! Please please please do not give up on yourself! PLEASE!!!

Don't get me wrong, holding on to Zelda was amazing, but also a little annoying. I couldn't control anything. So, I was at the mercy of Zelda's direction and Epona's stride. We came upon a lake, and I noticed Epona begin to slow down.

"Zelda?" I asked.

"What, Link?" She responded.

"Epona needs a break. She can carry us, but we're getting heavy. Breaking at the lake will allow her to get water and food and we can start back up in a little bit."

She nodded and nudged Epona in the direction of the lake. We arrived shortly and I took the saddle off of her. She began lapping up the water. I began pulling off the chain tunic, which had begun to get very hot in the afternoon sun. I noticed Zelda staring, and realized that I had been stupid and had not worn a thin shirt underneath it.

I could see Zelda blushing. I turned around, slipped off my boots, and jumped into the water. Zelda was, unfortunately, in the splash zone. She was instantly soaked.

"Hey! What was that for?" She called.

"You would've done the same if you were wearing that sweaty mess of chain links."

She shrugged. After a moment's hesitation, she jumped in after me, soaked clothes and all. Being in the lake together reminded me of a time when we were in the pool together as kids. Ah, the nostalgic memories.

We splashed around in the water for a bit while Epona rested, then set out again. I chose to walk to give Epona a rest. I had donned my chainmail and tunic, and I had begun to get hot again.

I could tell Zelda was getting bored. "I don't know about you, but all this travelling is getting a bit reDEKUlous."

She groaned. "Why Link? Why the puns? I thought you had grown out of them. Apparently not."

I grinned at her. "Just trying to pass the time. It's boring out here where the landscape is all the same."

-_-_-

Life lesson here, kids.

Never have a boy for your best friend. Bad idea.

Reason one. He thinks making me blush is the funniest thing in the world. He's a little too good at that one, I think. I still felt his arms around me, holding me....

Not necessarily a bad thing, eh, Zelda? Eh?

Reason two to come soon. As soon as my brain stops arguing with itself.

"Of course it's boring," I snapped. "We're in the middle of the desert. Did you expect it to be all happy fun times?"

He shrugged. "Not really."

I almost wished we could go back to the lake and just stay there. Sheik would be able to find us there, right? Besides, the lake was safe and secluded....

Be real. You just want to see Link-

No. Not that. The lake. That's the reason I want to go back. Not Link. Nope.

The image of him taking his shirt off popped back into my mind. I knew he wasn't scrawny or anything, but I had not expected anything like that. My shrimpy best friend actually had some muscle! Who knew, right?

No, stop that. Stop it! He's right there, he might hear you!

"Hey, Zelda?"

I snapped back into reality. "Yes, Link?"

"Did I......embarrass you? Earlier? When I......"

"When you took your shirt off in front of me?" I finished. "No, not at all. You used to do that all the time when we were kids. Remember?"

His face went from "I'm such an idiot" to "I was such an idiot" in a split second. "Oh, yeah. Heh."

I snorted. "I remember always poking your stomach, amazed at the fact that I could see your ribs."

"I always poked you back."

"No, you stopped after I kicked you that one time."

He rubbed his side. "I remember that! You gave me a bruise!"

"I did? Ha. You deserved it."

"Did not!"

This just in, reason two. He feels wronged by everything my little self did to him.

Oh! And reason three.

He is undeniably adorable. Don't tell him I said that.

He pouted for a long time, sticking out his lower lip and crossing his arms angrily. "You are so annoying sometimes, I wonder why I even like you."

My ears perked up. "Oh, you like me? Glad to hear it. Mutual feeling. Now quit your whining and quiet down. I think I heard something."

A boy poked his head around a rock outcropping, his face worried, then relieved as he saw us. "Finally!" He exclaimed. "Do you know how long I've been waiting for you two to show up? Nearly a day!"

I grinned at him. "Hey, Sheik!" I said, hopping off Epona and running over to hug him. "I was so worried about you!"