Staying Behind

Since my magic worked so well on Link, Sheik asked me to transform him into a Zora. I gotta say, now that the loopiness is gone from my brain it's a lot easier to focus and the spells have actually been working right. I was able to successfully transform him into a Zora.

"Ready, Link?" Sheik asked.

"Ready."

I folded my arms. "Hey, what about me?"

Link winced. "You have to stay behind. We can't risk losing the most powerful magic wielder in the world to save the Great Fairy."

"But risking the lives of my knight and my Sheikah Magic Guard is fine?"

Sheik put a calming hand on my shoulder. "We're expendable. You're not. Besides, I have my magic, Link has his sword, we'll be fine. I'm sure once we figure out what's wrong with Jabu Jabu everything will go back to normal."

"I don't want to just stay behind and do nothing!"

"You have done something. Ruto said that Jabu Jabu only loves Zoras, right?" Link said. "By changing us into Zoras, you have done a lot already."

I didn't want to stay behind. I couldn't.

So I cried instead. My magic responded, shattering several crystals in the walls and evaporating the water in the pool.

"Woah! Zel, calm down!" Link wrapped his arms around me protectively, and I cried into his chest. "I know you don't like this, but Sheik and I are trying to protect you. We'll be able to get in, find the Great Fairy, and get out safely."

"I know that," I choked. "But...."

He stroked my hair gently. "It's okay. It's okay."

Sheik began taking off his armor. Link let go of me and followed suit, setting his tunic on the ground but taking his sword with.

"We'll be back soon, Zel. And if not, feel free to blast Jabu Jabu to pieces." He gave me a lopsided grin.

He was about to dive into the water after Sheik but I stopped him. "Link, if you think I'm gonna let you risk your life for me without me at least giving you a proper goodbye, you're dead wrong."

I kissed his cheek, sliding my hands into his.

He didn't react for a second, then he gave me one last hug before diving into the water.

A surge of pride flowed through me. You did it, Zelda! You made a perfectly timed move. Excellent. Sure, it would've been nice to kiss his actual cheek, but I found that I didn't mind the scaly texture of his Zora skin as much as I thought. Thanks for that description, Zelda. No problem, Sheik. Wink wink. Ugh. Anyway, we made it in, everything is going good so far. Please keep your thoughts quiet so I can focus. That would be great. Done and done. Thanks. And I'm blaming you for Link's behavior. Just so you know.

The thought made me smile. And of course, my magic responded, sending flashes of light across the cave, changing the colors of the water and lighting it up.

I kicked off my boots, rolled up my leggings, and stuck my feet into the water. It was cool and refreshing, but I could swear I heard voices....

"Zelda," the water said. I jumped, startled by the soothing quality of its voice. I flung water everywhere in the process. "Zelda, do not worry. I have come to talk to you."

I sat back down, my heart still racing. "Sorry. I just freaked."

"Understandable." There was a pause before the water continued. "Zelda, you have a very special gift."

"Yeah, my magic, I know-"

The water chuckled, a sound like a million little pebbles all being skipped at the same time. "No, not your magic. Something else. Your ability to understand other's emotions and react to them. When Link comforted you earlier, you repaid him by giving him courage. When Sheik was admitting his past to you, you didn't get angry. That is an amazing gift. Do not abuse it."

My ability to understand other's emotions? Wow. I never realized I was good at that sort of thing. Zelda! What did I say about being quiet? We're in a really tight spot right now! Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, Sheik!

A tight spot? My stomach twisted into a knot. What kind of tight spot were they in?