part 05

"Hey,"Ezekiel grabbed Caroline's hand as she walked by him.

"I don't need you anymore, Zeke..."she turned to him and said.

"Care, come on,"he heaved out a sigh.

"We do this every time, Zeke. We hurt each other, but we care for each other and help each other,"she shook her head.

"And then it's a cycle all over again."

"I'm okay, thank you, but I need my space, Zeke,"Caroline pulled her hand out of his and walked away.

The bell rang and Ezekiel slammed his locker door shut in defeat.

He was worried for her, and he wanted a sign. He wanted anything that could help him make up his mind over his feelings.

"Hey, have you guys seen Stefan?"Elena approached Matt and him at the grill after school.

"Nope,"Matt said.

"You could kill some time with us,"Ezekiel shrugged.

"Yeah, come on, we haven't played in forever,"Matt turned to her.

"I'll let you break,"he grinned.

"How are you and Caroline?"Elena questioned as she grabbed a cue and dropped her bag on the table.

She leaned over the pool table and aimed the cue stick.

"She said she needs her space,"Ezekiel sighed and shrugged it off.

"She needs you, Zeke. I don't know what happened with Damon but he's not good for her,"she said.

"I'm worried."

"She needs to figure herself out. All I can do is protect her,"Ezekiel sat down at the table and took a sip of his drink as Matt took his turn.

"Do you know Vicki and Jeremy are hooking up again?"Elena turned to Matt.

"Again? They are so weird,"Ezekiel scrunched his nose up in disapproval.

"Yeah, I was up early this morning and there's Vicki all nonchalant in the bathroom like it's no big deal that they're hooking up,"Elena said.

"Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, your brother and my sister? That's weird,"Matt shook his head.

"Yeah,"Elena scoffed and pulled her phone out.

"How late is he?"Ezekiel questioned.

"Hitting the hour mark,"she sighed.

"Nothing's wrong though, which means I'm not talking boy problems with you,"Elena glanced up at Matt as she hit the white ball.

"Good. I mean, it's not like we were ever best friends or anything,"Matt rolled his eyes.

She stopped to think of what Matt said before opening her mouth to speak.

"Okay, here goes... What do you think of Stefan?"Elena turned to the both of them.

"Is he a good guy?"she questioned.

"He seems decent for me,"Ezekiel said and played around with the straw of his drink.

"Why? What's he done?"Matt frowned.

"Not any one thing. He's just so secretive all the time. I think there's something that he doesn't want me to know which makes me wanna know more,"she rambled.

"Like that he's a serial killer and he keeps a clown suit in his trunk?"Matt chuckled and aimed for a solid colored ball.

"No, of course not,"Elena rolled her eyes.