Part Two: Chapter Five.

On Tuesday's Reina had counseling. For the first month she wanted to go by herself but yesterday, after we got home from grocery shopping, she asked me to go with her. Today was a big day for me. Mostly because she asked for me to go, but more so because I wanted to see if she had improved any over the past two months.

The office looked normal. It had dark brown walls that were oddly somewhat depressing, and as we sat to wait to be called in, all you could hear was the gentle bubbling from the fish tank in the corner. This was much different from the rehab center, and in a way that comforted me. I hated counseling in rehab. It's kind of ironic how she's going to counseling for me now, though.

The door opens and out walks a woman who looks to be in her mid-thirties. She has short brown hair, with black framed glasses settled on the bridge of her nose. "Reina." She smiles, pushing a lock of hair behind her ear, "Come in, it's great to see you."

We both stand up and it seems like I don't even have to introduce myself to her because her eyes get the look that everyone else's does. It's that look of pity. The I'm so sorry your girlfriend doesn't remember you look.

The office room is really small. There's just enough room for her desk and two chairs for Reina and I to sit in. Suddenly I'm nervous, and I'm not sure why. I shouldn't be nervous because this session is for Reina.

I sit quietly for most of the session as they talk about her and how she's doing. Reina discusses her internship and about how everyone was very understanding of the circumstance. They offered to retrain her, and she's flourishing there. The day she came home with that smile on her face was the first time I've smiled in weeks. I'm so proud of her and all of the accomplishments she's making.

"Justin?" The counselor repeats, causing me to snap my head up. "How are you handling things?"

Reina looks over at me and I just stare at her to try and somehow find an answer. I honestly don't know how I'm handling things. Scott and Casey went home three weeks ago and now the house is mainly filled with silence. How am I handling my girlfriend wanting to sleep alone? Good, I guess. How am I handling the awkward silences when we try to eat a meal together? Good, I guess. How am I handling her slowly fall out of my grasp? Good, I guess.

"Good, I guess." I reply, clearing my throat.

The counselor gives me that look again, cocking her head to the side a little. "Clarify good." She says. "What do you mean?"

"I've been handling it as well as I can." I say honestly. "There's not an easy way to handle this situation." Then, I look at Reina and she looks so sad. I don't want to talk about the problems we're having at home because I don't want her to feel responsible for any of it. This session is supposed to be for Reina, not me.

"Well I think it's imperative you know that you aren't alone in this situation either. I would be happy to accommodate you and let you come in for a couple of sessions on your own if you'd like. Reina seems to think that you might need some advice on how to cope."

I narrow my eyes at her before I let out a sigh. "I don't need advice on how to cope. I just need my girlfriend back. Simple as that."

"But I might not get my memory back." Reina whispers. "You talk to me every night about memories. You tell me every night about what I'm missing out on. I don't remember anything. It's been two months, Justin. I'm tired of hearing about things that I can't remember. I'm sorry that I can't remember, but I can't."

I sit there in shock, unable to say a word. I feel like she's thought this for quite some time now. Is that why there are awkward silences between the meals? Is that why we're unable to sleep in the same room together? Because she's tired of hearing about us?