23» Brutus the Beagle

Chapter Twenty-Three

Brutus the Beagle

<There's a method to the madness>

<<<>>>

The four spent the entire next day together. They played a small game of Quidditch, which ended when Thea got hit in the face with the quaffle, and walked around Godric's Hollow more. They visited a couple of the old shops and wandered around before going back to the Potter's cottage, where the girls finished packing their things and said their goodbyes.

"Thank you for having us," Lily said as Euphemia wrapped her in a tight hug.

"Don't be strangers," the old woman said, brushing Lily's hair behind her ear. She turned and gave Thea a big hug. "Come visit again soon!"

"Will do, Mrs. Potter," Thea said. The two girls both gave Fleamont a firm handshake and a farewell, then followed James and Sirius outside. The boys had just finished stuffing the luggage into the cab.

"I'm glad you visited," James said, wrapping Lily into a hug. She immediately relaxed into him as she returned the hug.

"I am too," she said. "Have a good rest of your break, James."

"You too, Evans."

James leaned down and pressed his lips to her forehead before he realized Sirius and Thea were watching. He jumped back, ran his hand through his messy hair, and gave Thea a quick hug.

"Thanks for coming, have a nice break," he said. Lily smiled and hugged Sirius.

"See you when school starts," she said, then turned to Thea. "I'll wait in the cab."

She and James walked away, leaving Sirius and Thea alone.

"I hope you had fun," he said, his arms crossed over his chest. "How's the nose feel?"

"I already told you, I'm fine," she said. "It was just a quaffle."

"Well, now Potter's going to get a quaffle to the face when he least expects it."

"Glad I won't be around to see that fight," she said with a grin. She stepped forward and put her arms around his neck, leaning her head against his shoulder. He immediately wrapped his arms around her waist and held his breath without realizing it.

"I'm not sure how much longer I'll be living with the Potters," he mumbled into her ear. "But I hope you'll visit again."

She looked up at him and nodded. He leaned down and gently kissed her cheek.

"See you around, Thea."

She smiled and pulled away from him, then hopped into the cab and drove off with Lily grinning mischievously next to her.

Lily was dropped off at home first. She gave Thea a hug and promised to write to her before grabbing her trunk and paying the driver.

Thea sat in silence for the remainder of her car ride. She wasn't about to start up a conversation with the cab driver, and for once she was content with thinking about normal teenage things. All she could focus on was how great her friends were, the imminent threat of school, and if a certain someone was thinking about her. She then internally groaned when she remembered that she was going to have to deal with her aunt again soon.