26» Aftershock

Chapter Twenty-Six

Aftershock

<Don't bite the hand that feeds you>

<<<>>>

"Remus, don't do this."

James pushed Lily behind him, his hand outstretched to the beast in a calming manner.

"We're your friends, Remus," he said quietly. "You don't want to hurt us."

Sirius had his arm wrapped around Thea's waist, ready to pulled her back and away from danger. Thea's wand was shaking and she couldn't tear her eyes away from the werewolf. James slowly inched himself and Lily backwards.

"Thea," Sirius said, turning to her. "Take Lily and go back to the common room. We will take care of Remus."

"R-Remus?" she whispered.

The werewolf snarled and switched his attention to her now. He dropped to all fours and took a slow step forward, his eyes filled with hatred.

Sirius placed his hand on Thea's cheek, pulled her closer, and kissed her deeply. She was barely able to understand what had happened before he pulled away. Her lips were tingling and her mind felt hazy.

"Go," he said, then began running at the werewolf.

"Sirius, no!"

As he ran, he shrunk and his clothes fell off until he was gone, and in his place stood a large black dog. The dog barked and snarled at the werewolf, which swatted back at him.

James met eyes with Lily, then also ran forward, only his body grew bigger and taller. James had become a stag.

"Lily, come on!" Thea shouted. She ran over and grabbed her friend by the arm, the two of them unable to stop watching the fight taking place. James and Sirius were attempting to drive Remus towards the Forbidden Forest. The girls snapped out of their daze and began running to the castle. Thea turned and saw the werewolf smack Sirius to the side. The dog fell to the ground with a yelp, unmoving. Before she could react, Remus began running towards the girls.

"Stupefy!" Thea yelled. A burst of red light hit the werewolf, but the magic only slowed him down a bit. Luckily, James ran over and managed to distract him long enough for the girls to make it inside.

The two ran down corridors, not even bothering to check the map. Eventually Thea grabbed Lily and the two of them hid in a dark corner, trying to catch their breath.

"They're animagi?" Lily said, while panting.

"I guess so," Thea said. She unfolded the map and checked their surroundings. "Looks like we narrowly missed Filch. We're all set. Let's go."

The two ran back to the common room where they were met by the Fat Lady.

"And where have you two been?" she said sleepily. "Students aren't allowed out of bed at this hour."

"Yes," Lily said. "It was an emergency. Thea wasn't feeling well."

"What was wrong, dear?" she asked skeptically.