Chapter 33

"What are we going to do?!" Carmen whispered to me as she turned on the light of her phone to prevent us from being shrouded in total darkness here.

"Look for a place to hide just in case they decide to come in here." I whispered back to her. How we were going to get out of this place was a different story all together. Though I was positive that there must be another lever somewhere inside this room which would be able to open the entrance up again for us to leave. Carmen started to flash her phone's light around in search of any sort of hiding place. I remained at the entrance, listening to the voices on the other side.

"What we're you thinking?!" Ms. Hatch shouted angrily. "You could have been seen by an outsider! What than would you have done?! Killed them all?!"

"I'm sorry. I lost control of myself." Roman said.

Yes! The second pair of footsteps I had heard entering the office with Ms. Hatch, was Roman! What the hell was he doing here?! What were they talking about?! Killed them all?! Has he killed before? Immediately I thought of the girl's scream I had heard. Did he have something to do with that? I listened more intently as they continued their conversation.

"Lost control! Just be glad that we could pass this off as a drunk incident. Be glad she had been drinking with you outside!"

"You stress far too much. Who would believe her anyway? Someone as normal and charmingly as me turning into a man eating wolf? Really? One whiff of the alcohol on her breath and they would have known not to believe her."

"Like I said. Just be glad you two had been drinking, but that doesn't mean you are off the hook here Roman. Shape shifting like this in front of a human is forbidden!"

"Not where I come from. Sometimes I wonder which side you are on Ms. Hatch." Roman's words seemed to silence her almost immediately. Like he had struck a nerve of some sort. I wish I knew what they were talking about. I wish I fully understood, but all of this sounded like nothing more than a really crazy imaginary delusion which I prayed I wasn't having right now.

"My loyalty is with the pack. Always have been." Ms. Hatch eventually muttered.

"I wonder though."

"And what is it exactly that you wonder?"

"Why are you so angered by my actions tonight when I am only doing what our clan is fighting for. Living freely and practicing our dominance over the humans as they are, simply put, lesser beings." Roman said bluntly.

A cold shiver shot down my spine as the realization of what Roman had just said hit me. Roman clearly was talking about humans like he was not one and that was probably the truth. He probably wasn't a human being. What was he? Some sort of shape shifter. I gulped nervously as my body turned to jelly from the nerves. "Is it because she is here that you are suddenly have a change of heart?" Roman asked.

Who was he was talking about?

"Do not be daft!" Ms. Hatch hissed angrily. "I merely do not want a juvenile such as yourself to ruin all what we have achieved so far. Understood?!" Roman didn't respond. "Don't let this happen again! Or else you won't live to shape shift back!" Ms. Hatch was angry which aided her attempt to make her threat sound absolutely believable.

Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder. I almost bumped into the door of the secret room as I spun around to see who had just grabbed me. To my relieve, it was only Carmen who I had completely forgotten about during all of this. I took a deep breath to catch up on the few I had skipped since being nearly frightened to death by Carmen.

She took my hand and pulled me away from the door. "Look what I found by accident." Carmen whispered very softly. She shone the light of her cellphone up to a corner of the room. I followed the light to see what she was talking about and saw that the mirror that once stood all dusty and dirty in the corner had been moved, revealing a large hole in the brick wall. On a proper inspection I could tell that this was no ordinary hole in the wall. It was a door way. "A secret door in a secret room. Possibly a way out." Carmen whispered to me. I wanted to shout out how brilliant she was, but I could not do so. Instead, I took hold of Carmen and pulled her towards the door. She used her cellphone to shine light into the doorway and I could tell immediately that this was a secret passageway. I remembered reading somewhere on the internet about the history of the building of this castle. It was believed that there were hidden passageways built into this castle. This had to be one of them.