Plan Matchmaker

💖💖💖

💖💖💖

A couple of jocks snickered as Josh sighed, staring dreamily at Debby's homecoming queen poster. He blushed shoving his glasses higher on his face and walked out of the classroom books in hand. Josh had a major crush on Debby ever since he saw her in ninth grade. Now in twelfth, he still had a crush and was still too scared to do anything about it.

He wasn't the only one though.

"Wait up Josh!" Jenna said running up to him, her backpack slung over her shoulder. The jocks walked by and made kissing sounds at him before walking away and Jenna sighed.

"Were you staring at Debby's poster again?" Jenna asked and Josh flushed pink.

"M-maybe." He said and bit at his thumbnail nervously.

"You've got to just ask her out. It's becoming weird." Jenna smirked and suddenly Tyler walked by with his friends, twirling a basketball on his finger.

"Hey." Tyler said catching the ball and waving at them.

Jenna just blushed nervously and held her hand up meekly in an attempted wave as they passed by. Josh just nodded his head until they rounded the corner.

"I'm weird? You've been crushing on Joseph for years so don't lecture me on asking Debby out." Josh said  jokingly beginning to walk down the hallway and towards the doors, Jenna following him.

"Fine okay. We got a chemistry test tomorrow so you wanna come over and study?" Jenna asked and Josh nodded.

"Yeah good idea." Josh said as they walked out of the school together, their bikes sitting right next to one another. They started riding home, both of them laughing at certain nonsense they would yell along the way.

******

Josh chewed on his pencil while Jenna wrote down a formula. The two were sprawled out on Jenna's large bed studying.

"That's wrong." Josh said and Jenna scoffed throwing her pencil down.

"I'm just doing it how the teacher showed us." She said pointing to the equation in the notebook.

"I know but look, here just do this and it's ten times quicker." Josh said erasing a few lines and substituting it with his own calculations. Josh might not have been brave with talking to Debby, but he was extremely smart.

They finished up studying and had a bit of time left over to watch a movie. They decided on Big Hero 6 and settled back on the bed, all wrapped in a burrito blanket.

"So I was thinking about what you said about Debby." Josh said taking a handful of popcorn and shoving it in his mouth. "And I think I'm gonna go for it."

"Seriously? Dude last time you tried talking to her in ninth grade you almost peed yourself." Jenna said trying not to laugh. Josh smacked her shoulder, for that memory was definitely not a pleasant one.

"Okay maybe I shouldn't have tried talking to her after drinking five Gatorade's." Josh thought momentarily.

"And why did you drink five Gatorade's?" Jenna asked and Josh sighed.

"To make myself look more sporty alright I get it, lapse of judgment. This time my bladder will be empty and I will totally do it." Josh said and then the anxiety began crawling through his chest just thinking about walking up to the pretty red head. "Okay maybe not."

"Look I have an idea. Here." Jenna said getting up grabbing some crayola markers and paper. She uncapped a pink one and began drawing her plan. "Okay so I have almost every class with Debby. You have almost every class with Tyler. What if we do the buddy system with them?" She explained.

"What do you mean Jen?" Josh asked and she rolled her eyes.

"You become friends with Tyler and I'll become friends with Debby. We'll talk one another up and then when we all decide to hang out together, bam we make our move." Jenna said circling her resolution in a different bright blue marker.

"Tyler seems pretty cool, maybe hanging out with him will give me brownie points with Debby too." Josh smiled and Jenna nodded.

"Alright. Plan matchmaker is go. Ride tomorrow to school?" Jenna said to Josh as he collected his things to go home.

"Course. See ya." Josh said grabbing his backpack then going downstairs. He waved a quick goodbye to her parents and grabbed his bicycle in the front yard, beginning the short ride home.

Josh went to sleep that night thinking of ways he'd become friends with Tyler. Sure they'd talked before but they definitely weren't close. Tyler's friends teased Josh a lot for his obvious crush on Debby, but when finals rolled around they'd be begging Josh to help them study so he wasn't really offended by it. At the end of the day they were all human. Tyler was different though, Josh could tell even without knowing him that well.

Well all that was going to change.