The Strange Feeling of Acceptance

⛄️⛄️⛄️

⛄️⛄️⛄️

"Josh did what?" Kelly said irritatedly,
crossing her arms and glaring at her son.

"He took me to see a therapist." Tyler explained calmly at the dinner table. Everyone's eyes were settled on the brunette.

"And you decided to start taking medication without my permission?" Kelly said and Tyler shrugged.

"I'm eighteen now mom, I don't need your permission anymore." Tyler said and Kelly sighed in frustration because her son was right. He was a legal adult and could sign for his own medicine now, whether she liked it or not.

"As long as it doesn't affect playing basketball." Kelly said and Tyler slammed his fork down.

"That's all you fucking care about is me playing basketball! I thought you changed but you didn't!" Tyler yelled and pushed the chair away from the table.

"Tyler." Chris said sternly, peering over his newspaper. "Language." He said and Tyler calmed down a bit, clearing his throat.

"I think you, me, and your mother need to have a talk." Chris said seriously, causing a look of surprise from Tyler and Kelly.

"Okay." Tyler said meekly, shoving his hands in his pockets. Kelly sighed and crossed her arms.

"Kids go do something." Chris said to Zach, Madison, and Jay. Jay ran over and gave Tyler a small hug before running off into the house with his siblings.

Then there was just three of them at the dining room table.

"Kelly I've been meaning to say this for some time and I know we both agreed to have Tyler play basketball but he quit for the year, I think it's time to let him make his own decisions." Chris said and Kelly sat there gaping at him.

"Chris we can't pay for his college we discussed this." Kelly said and Tyler looked up.

"What?" Tyler said softly, almost in disbelief

"We can't afford to send you to college Tyler. We needed you to take that scholarship." Kelly said and Tyler swallowed.

"I-I don't want to go to college." Tyler said quietly.

"Tyler you mean to tell me you're turning down a full ride and just flat out not going?" Kelly said scornfully. "I thought I raised you better than this." She said.

"The only time you raised me was when you were yelling at me while I bled on the pavement outside." Tyler scoffed and Kelly glared at him.

"Tyler enough. Do you really not want to go to college? Your mother and I just want you to have a good future." Chris said and Tyler sighed a bit.

"I want to start a band. I want make music." Tyler said and Kelly rolled her eyes.

"Have you made any songs yet?" Chris asked and Tyler nodded. "Has anyone heard them?"