Chapter three

''So why a defense attorney?'' Levi asked when the ice was close to broken between the two.

''Why a prosecutor?'' Valentina shot back. Levi smiled at her quick response. She always had something to say, and it amused him how defensive she could get in an instant.

''Parents.'' He simply said, after which a silence followed.

Valentina nodded in understanding. She has had her fair share of strict parents- or more like whole family. But even after she moved away from her family, she had had to listen to Katherine's rants about her parents, and occasionally even had to deal with them too. And those kind of parents, the not only strict but also rich ones, were even worse than the once she had back home in Italy. Valentina imagined Levi's parents to be like Katherine's, strict and rich, so she could easily imagine Levi's upbringing.

''So if it wasn't for your parents, you'd be a defense attorney like me now?'' Valentina asked, breaking the silence that had dawned upon them.

Levi chuckled, ''No.''

Valentina watched the smile that had disappeared at the mention of Levi's parents, return to his face. She noticed he smiled a lot. Like he found amusement in everything. A true optimist she guessed he was.

''I'd be a corporate lawyer.'' Levi added.

She could see him as a corporate lawyer. If anything, a corporate lawyer seemed to fit him more than a prosecutor.

''Makes good money.'' Said Valentina. Levi nodded.

''Yeah, it does. So why defense attorney instead of corporate lawyer?'' Levi tried again. He noticed it was all about double-inquiring with Valentina. She was reluctant to hand out information about herself, knowing by avoiding questions most people would give up after asking the first time. Levi immediately noticed the defense mechanism.

''I believe everyone deserves a fair trial.''

''Bullshit, that's the reason. That's just the standard crappy excuse defense attorneys use.'' Levi exclaimed.

''Then what do you suggest the reason is?''

''Money.'' Levi stated, ''Not many people are capable of pushing past their morals and defend psychotic criminals for a living. Which means the demand for defense attorneys is higher than the offer of them, which would mean you get paid more.''

''A real corporate lawyer, I see.'' Valentina praised his economic knowledge.

''I'm right, then?'' He asked. Valentina shook her head, a small smile on her face as she stared in the distance.

''No.''

Levi watched her expectantly, a smile of his own on his lips. He hadn't truely seen her smile yet, and it was breath taking. The streets were dark and he could only see the shadow of her smile, but it was more beautiful than any smile he had ever seen. He wanted it to last, so when her smile faded, he was desperate to get it back on her face.

''Of course I'm not right, most defense attorneys make measly pay.'' He then said. Valentina turned to look at him, another smile briefly brushed past her lips.

''I'm not going to lie, at first I wanted to be a defense attorney for the money. I knew most ended up being a public defender and made shitty pay, but I also knew that I only had to get to the top to change that. And once you're the best amongst defense attorney's, you'll get far from measly pay, let me tell you. I never minded working hard to earn money, and that's how I ended up in law school. But once I was there, I realised the criminal justice system really isn't fair at all. Tons of innocent people get thrown into prison for crimes they didn't commit, and juries are almost never not prejudiced against defendants. Of course I defend a whole lot of jerks too, but for the one, out of a thousand clients, that truely is innocent and I manage to get justice for, it's totally worth it.''