Chapter ten

''I was given strict orders, Amello.'' Burke said.

''Orders to what? Deprive him of his rights?'' Valentina exclaimed in exasperation.

Ted Burke, a desk duty officer with a personal vendetta against Valentina just for doing her job as a defense attorney, refused to negotiate with her- or even communicate with her. It has been 2 hours since Levi was arrested for God knows what and she still hasn't been allowed to see him.

Levi was being interrogated for something, and there was nothing Valentina could do to help him. To say she didn't have a slight idea of what he was being interrogated for would have been a lie. Of course, the thought of the FBI finding out about them colluding on the Garcia case crossed her mind.

But she corrected herself quickly. No way did they find out. After all, the only two people who knew about it were her and Levi. And neither of them has talked.

At least, as far as she knew.

The feeling that crept up her spine as the thought of Levi ratting her out echoed in her head was daunting. There was no way he would've right? He was as deep in this mess as she was, after all. But then, he might've cut a deal.

Valentina shook her head, shaking off the thoughts.

There was just no way Levi would've done that. He might've been a jerk- still is- but he told her he wouldn't talk. And Valentina trusted him on that. There were just too many reasons for him not to. Besides, they were about to go on a date together. What kind of psychopath would take a girl out after he gave the Fed's direct evidence to put her away for years.

Above all of that, it just didn't make sense.

Even if Levi did talk, it just didn't make any sense that he would be the one they decide to arrest.

Or maybe he talked, confessed to everything, and this was all a scam to get to Valentina. It would certainly explain why she's not allowed to see him.

As much as she didn't want to believe this could be true, it was a possibility this might've happened. But then, there were so many other ways the Feds might've found out. Maybe someone overheard their conversation, maybe someone at Levi's office found the way things went with the Garcia case suspicious and started investigating, or maybe-

Valentina shook her head.

There were a thousand thoughts going through her head and it was driving her crazy. She needed to stay sane, if not for herself, for Levi's sake.

The point was, that Levi was in there. Probably being interrogated, possibly ratting her out. Either way, she needed to get in there and put a stop to it.

Valentina knows sketchy and this situation, it stank of sketchiness. Something was up, and she was going to find out just what was happening. She fished her phone out of her purse and dialed Kate's number.

But she never called. She needed to keep Kate out of this. This wasn't just sketchy on the police's end, it was on hers too. A lot of lying will be necessary to get out of this situation unscathed and she wasn't about to drag Kate into it- or anyone, for that matter. She was going to do this on her own.

She unlocked her phone and put it back in her purse. Turning her attention back at Ted, she opened her mouth to give him an earful of Levi's rights, but she never got to that.

''Valentina, always a pleasure.''

Her head snapped in the direction the voice came from and she came face to face with the person she least needed to see at a time of crisis like this. And her face reflected that.