Chapter eighteen

As promised, another chapter! Happy reading!

Valentina left the office soon after Dominic did. She walked down the empty corridors of the office, they were just as empty as she felt right now. Her heart still clenched with pain as she exited the building, the look on Dominic's face a few moments earlier a painful memory that kept replaying in front of her eyes. And even though she hated remembering it, she couldn't help but to keep replaying their conversation over and over again in her head. It was torture- self-torture.

It was a strange feeling. Her heart ached with his pain and her own of having lost whatever was brewing between them. But at the same time, her body relaxed with relieve knowing that she will never have to worry about Dominic getting too close to her. He was done with her, she saw it in his face- in his eyes. And as much as she longed for him, she also wanted to run away from him.

The relieve of the fear compensated the hurt of losing him.

Steve brought her home, and Valentina was still in a daze as she opened her front door. There were just so many emotions coursing through her body, that she decided to shut them all off completely. Because all these emotions, they all contradicted with each other. She hated that she had hurt him, but at the same time was so relieved she had hurt him, making him hate her and stop chasing her. The myriad of emotions evened each other out, leaving her numb. She thought she was ready to be in a committed relationship with Dominic, and she really did long for one, but at the same time all she wanted to do was run the other way.

Maybe she wasn't so ready after all.

It doesn't matter anymore, now that she's pushed all those thoughts and emotions to the back of her mind. It doesn't matter because Dominic was done with her. There was no them anymore- Hell, there never has been. All there is right now, is Valentina and Levi. And that's what she's going to spend all her attention on. Because compared to Dominic, Levi didn't scare her. Levi was still kept at arm's length, while Dominic was right in her face.

With Levi, she felt safe. Because she decided what pace they were going, and where they were heading. They were doing it on her terms- she was in control.

Levi wasn't home yet. And maybe that was for the better, as she needed some time to pull herself together. They were going on a date, after all. She needed to be at her best during this one, because they were being watched. This was their first public appearance as a couple and they needed to make it look as real as possible. It helps that they were trying to be real in the first place.

Half past five came around, and Levi still didn't arrive home. They were supposed to leave at six, and Valentina wasn't really getting excited for this date with his continuous late arrivals. She was slightly annoyed, but she didn't allow it to get to her. This seemed to be a bad habbit of his, she realized. Ten minutes before they were supposed to head out, Levi walks into the livingroom, not seeming a slight bit worried about being late.

Valentina was already ready to go, with a dark blue dress on and stiletto's to match. The dark shade complimented her dark skintone, and brought out to dark brown shade of her eyes. She looked stunning.

''You're late.'' Valentina stated, her gaze fixed on her blue painted nails that were just as perfect as the rest of her.

Levi watched her tanned legs uncross, before she got up to her full height- which wasn't much. Her hand found her way to her hip, and stance did nothing to scare him- and everything to turn him on.

She was exactly what he pictured a Sicilian woman to be. Beautiful, sexy and so fucking sassy. She wasn't taking shit from no one, especially not from him.