Chapter twenty

Hi guys! So sorry for the delay in chapters! I was on vacation and had zero wifi- and before you ask, yes it was Hell. Anyhow, here's the long awaited chapter twenty :)

The song has nothing to do with the chapter, but I just really like it. I've been listening to it during my vacation, I was addicted. Thought I should share such a fun song with you guys.

The next Monday, Valentina was reluctant to head into work. She was tired from all the partying she'd been doing the week prior, and she was nervous to face Dominic. If he was going to show up in the first place. He hadn't shown up at the office the previous week after their talk. Kate hadn't heard from him either.

Dominic does that every once a while. He just disappears, no one knowing where he is, or how he's doing. But then, you can probably guess that. He's probably not doing so fine, otherwise he wouldn't have disappeared.

They're kind of alike when it comes to that. Both Valentina and Dominic tend to disappear when everything becomes too much. But then again, they're alike in many more ways. All those things they have in common, are the bricks to their connection.

Valentina held up her hand in a wave as she passed Jennifer on her way to her office.

''Good morning, Ms. Amello,'' She greeted, as cheerful as ever, ''You have one meeting scheduled for today.''

Valentina turned to look at her, a brow raised in a questioning way.

''Mr. Cordero called for a meeting with all partners. It's scheduled at nine.''

Valentina felt her eye twitch. He hasn't shown his face for a week, has neglected clients, but he can call for a meeting? What is this meeting about, anyway, it's not like he puts a lot of thinking into this firm to begin with. Valentina decided she'd call him, so she at least knows what this meeting is about in the first place.

Valentina continued her way to her office, but stopped dead in her tracks in the dooropening when she layed her eyes on her desk.

Or rather, the person sitting behind it.

Seems like calling won't be necessary. Dominic sat there, his feet stretched in front of him and propped up on her desk. One hand up, playing with his dark curls.

Valentina didn't focus on how handsome he looked, and instead focused on how well he looked. He looked surprisingly OK. No evidence of drug use, as far as she can tell. He just looked tired, very tired. He hasn't been sleeping, Valentina knows. Especially if he hasn't been taking drugs or drinking alcohol. He's always had trouble sleeping, it's one of the reasons he started using drugs. So without the drugs, and with everything going on- his divorce, getting his heart broken, not to mention his brains- it was only logical he's having trouble sleeping again.

But none of that made the annoyance she felt towards him subside. At this point, Valentina had no idea what exactly she was annoyed with him for. All she knows, is that the second he crosses her mind, she instinctively clenches her jaw and curls her hands into fists.

It might have been his lack of absence and initiative at work. Or the fact that he's been relapsing again. Deep down, Valentina knows it's none of the above. It's what happened between them- what is still happening between them. She's mad at him for pouring his heart out, for scaring her, for making her reject him. But most of all, she's angry with herself. For fucking it all up.

''Finally decided to show your face again?''

''We need to talk.'' He said, seemingly calm about the situation. But Valentina knew better. She knows the anger is still boiling deep down within him.