Chapter 5 Escape

I felt it's broken unkempt teeth dig into my leg and then gnawing on the bone. I couldn't move that leg so I kicked its rotten head with my other foot. It let go and it fell over onto its back. I was able to force myself up with my good leg, lean against the wall for support then stomped my foot down onto its head. When I crushed its skull I got held back when I saw that there was no rotting brain also inside the skull. Just empty shell.

My leg buckled under the pain making me fall into the corner. My head dropped and I stared at my lap. I couldn't move my body. I was paralyzed. My whole body was getting cold. Despite the freeze I was feeling I could see my whole body sweating profusely. I couldn't move my eyes. I couldn't control my breathing.

The only thing I could do was think. I thought back on my observations on the zombies and newly bitten victims, it will only take a few minutes to an hour to turn completely into a zombie. Because of my weak body it should only take a few minutes. This is not how I wanted to die. Not being shot. Not being sick. Not being turned into a zombie. I wanted to die at a old age in the arms of someone who loves me.

I saw my arms turn blue and purple. I felt the last rush of warm blood turn cold. I sat there just staring down. Have I died? Have I turned? Why am I still conscious?

My fingers twitched and I got startled. I couldn't move the rest of me but I could my fingers and eyes. I heard a few pairs of fast footsteps on the roof. I heard Alec's gasp as the sound of the later sliding down the wall. "A, Bring the gun." I heard the girl's voice followed by the sound of metal clanking. In the front of me I could barely see his feet standing in front of me. Then a second pair of shoes. I think they belong the the bandaged boy.

"Hey," Alec called and squatted down to look at me. A rush of energy flood through me. I flung up my leg and kicked Alec's chest pushing him back with the bandaged boy. I climbed up the latter at boggling speed. How can i go so fast? Whatever because of it its giving me an advantage.

I heard gunshots below me but I just went faster. "J!" Alec screamed. Once I got to the top I dashed past T and the girl. More gunshots rang loud behind me but it didn't matter. I jumped off the building onto a smaller one next to it then down to the street. So many gunshots. Dashing to the next street I heard them screaming at me and running.

I dove into a storm drain and hid inside the big pipes hidden under the street. I was laying in murky water while quietly listening for the footsteps to pass. Which they did, followed along with loud frustrated screamed. "I TOLD YOU THAT WE NEEDED A CAGE ON TOP OF THE PIT!" I heard T scream.

"Why did we even keep her!?" The girl hollered obviously at Alec. Everyone was screaming at each other about how they should have killed me in the first place, and that it was stupid that they wasn't able to shoot my head to kill me when I was running.

I stayed in the drain for days on end. Time went by so quickly that I didn't even notice when a week passed. The only thing I had to help me was my cracked digital watch that also told the date. I haven't heard them in a while. I've been crawling in the drains for weeks now. Just to make sure Im away from them.

When I turned into a zombie my eyes became odd. They changed color from green to blue and I could see in the dark. At least it helps me navigate through the drains. Before I knew it I found the end of the drain. It was built into a hill and the spout was in a small creek hidden just on the outskirts of some woods. The edge of the drain was a few feet above the creek so when I was trying to get out I fell out very gracefully. I lied there in the water just staring up at the sky which I haven't seen in awhile. In the corner of my eye in the water an odd color washed away next to me. I sat up and looked at the water. Browning blood and dirty water residue was being cleaned off of my by the creek. I stroked my leg and noticed the bullet holes digged into my legs. I found more of them in my arms. Then two more on my back.

If they had hit my head I would have been dead. Only because I still had my brain that's why it would have worked. If my brain was gone then they would have to decapitate my head to kill me.

THe chances that they missed boggled me. I really escaped. Living like this...Is it better than just being humanely killed by the hands of hunters? I don't personally think that T and the girl would have been so humane.

I clenched my thigh wondering where I am. Should I stay in the woods? Seems safer. I stood up and watched all the water run off of me. I walked down the creek continuously tripping over the slippery rocks. What should I do?

After a day of wandering in the woods I found a small old deer hunting tower built into the canopy of a bunch of trees. It was pretty chilled in there because it was in the shade. Despite that once I got up there I quickly knew that this was abandoned mid fight. Cans of food and water with a few guns. Everywhere was scattered amo on the floor. There was blood strokes on the edge of the lookout opening. Someone fell off. So brutal.

This will be my new home?