Chapter 10 Stairs

We stayed in some of the apartment buildings in Forest county. The amount of zombies around here have doubled in the past 14 hours. Alec had to cut down all the stairs in the building. Zuri gave me my guns back and for the past hour I haven't stopped hugging them. I sat on the area above the stairs and I watched Alec chop at the old wooden stairs with and emergency axe.

"Hey." I called out to Alec.

"Yeah?" Alec kept chopping at the stairs.

"Why are you trying so hard to keep me alive? You never once really hated me or anything. Are you really a hunter?" I asked.

"I've killed plenty of zombies trust me I'm a hunter." He laughed "But I have never hated you because you didn't do anything. You haven't killed anyone and you are just trying to keep away from all the drama and I can't blame you. I would be the same if I also had your circumstances."

"You don't seem like the person to work alone." I said.

"Neither do you." He turned to me.

"Also how do you know I haven't eaten anyone?" I said trying to get some other emotion out of him.

"I just know. In your situation it would be like making a strong Vegan eat meat, it won't happen." he chopped. I huffed a laugh on that analogy. "Also remember when I shot you?" he asked.

I just have him a nasty glare "kinda."

"Well in the alley the look in your eyes told me you didn't want to die."

"Well of course." I scoffed.

"No. You didn't want to die like that. I could tell in your eyes that you were wanting someone to save you..." He slowly turned around to see my expression "But it seemed like instead you have been saving yourself."

"I looked like that then because I was a lonely idiot." I grunted as I got up and sat on the staircase above Alec. I poked my head through the bars on the railing.

"Were you now?" He said smiling.

"Yup."

"How?" He asked.

"I was alone." I said "In that tiny apartment all alone for days on end." I stared at the wall behind him "I was desperate for any human interaction. Ironic know that now I'm not even human anymore." I sighed zoning out "I was too late."

My eyes came back into focus when blue stared into my eyes. And Alec was kissing me. "It's not too late." He whispered. I stared at his eyes. Did they get more yellow? I grabbed his neck and pressed his lips against mine. Why am I doing this? It's kinda funny on how bad of a kisser he is. I shivered when his tongue went into my mouth. A sudden realization went through my mind. If I accidentally bite him he would be over. What if I still have the virus? I pushed him off and he saw the look of terror in my eyes. He watched me run back up the stairs leaving my guns behind. When I got back to the level we were staying on I just went past it and ran to the roof.

When I closed the door behind me I fell to the ground. "Idiot." I put my head in my hands "You really don't have a sense of fear."