Chapter 15 Protect me

I'm starting to re-live that fear I had before of hunters. I forget that most wouldn't care if I just mutated weird. Zombies are zombies. I admit. But I can still feel the fear. This feeling is terrible. I didn't wanted to be reminded of it. A few more days past and there wasn't any meat around for me to eat. Me and Alec has been having to keep distance because of Jonathan along with me refusing to kiss him anymore. He doesn't know that I'm hungry. A week passed by and we are still walking to J lab.

A few more days passed and I didn't feel good. When night came I grabbed J and hid just so we could talk. "Please let me out for tonight." I begged shaking.

"What's wrong?" He asked looking at me shaking. I felt so weak.

"I haven't eaten in awhile." I said bobbing my head trying to stay up.

"When was the last time you ate!?"

"Um?" I had trouble thinking "After Jonathan came along? And I was running low on meat then too." I stuttered. J sighed and looked at everyone in the next room.

"Zuri and you will go out after everyone sleeps so you can go and find some food for you in some houses or you can just find something in the woods I guess."

"I don't want Zuri to watch me eat." I complained.

"Fine then I'll come along with you." He sighed "One more thing for the past week or so you haven't done anything with Alec right?"

"I'm not stupid."I growled. He huffed a breath of relief.

When night came I couldn't have been more hungry. Me and J stayed up until 12:53. We snuck out the front door and My sent was heightened so much I could smell everything. We wandered around the neighborhood looking for any extra food in the houses but nothing was there. "I'm sick of this!" I yelled and stomped out of the house. I stood there and took a deep breath. My nose caught the smell of blood. My belly rumbled loud. J flashed the flashlight at me and he saw me staring out into the backyard of a house. Something dripped out of the side of my mouth. I wiped my mouth and the liquid was black. I looked at J and he saw it on the side of my face.

"You need to eat now." He said worried. I twitched at a sound in a small wooded part near a road. I dashed just following my nose. I smelled blood. J couldnt run as fast as me but I couldn't stop running. When I got to the woods I searched for the smell. I stopped at the sight of a dead deer. I was so hungry. I'm so ashamed of myself. But it tasted so good. All over the bones I gnawed on was that black liquid.When J caught up that deer was almost half gone. He saw the black liquid and backed away. His gun was pointed at me. I was still eating when he slowly said "Deven." He said cocking his gun. I quickly stopped eating and looked at him. He seemed really shaken.

"Are you going to kill me?" I said really confused. He rolled his eyes and fell against a tree.

"Oh thank god." He gasped.

"What?" I asked really confused. I wiped my face and stood up. My hands were bloody and so was my shirt.

"That." He pointed to the black liquid "Is the zombie virus." he said "If you stayed like that to long then you could have fully "Turned"" Rubbed his face "And I really didn't feel like killing you." He laughed. I was so close to turned into a horrible thing. I put my head down and looked at my hands.

I kept my head down as I passed by J. I went into the backyard of the house we were staying in. I stood there in the backyard with my arms out. "Hose me down." I said. He looked at me confused but I nodded towards the water hose and he seemed a little amused. He grabbed the hose and just happened to chose the spray setting the powerwash.

Lets just say I fell over. I screamed but laughed at the same time. I splashed him with water while I saw trying to get up. We had a water fight, in the middle of the night, during the zombie apocalypse. Any time is water time.