Episode #5

Dive-capable spacecraft produce their own gravity fields. The field strength varies with the distance and the output from the Core, but after a while, everyone becomes used to moving between these 'shells'. Of course, even the maximum Core output is not enough to crush anyone, but those without soma might experience minor discomfort during the dive. Right now the Nua spacecraft was in our gravity field.

Shortly after docking, life support was relayed from Quennah's systems through the auxiliary connector paths (by sheer luck, those were left undamaged in the Medan craft) and the environment aboard the escape vessel stabilized. We got there in time. Three minutes later would have made a grave difference.

While Orewen and his unit were busy performing first aid and transporting the wounded back to Quennah, the Medans who could move by themselves were put into the care of other crew members and provided with all necessary accommodations. By the end of the mission, which took several hours, the infirmary was full, and we even had to extend it into nearby quarters, relocating their current inhabitants elsewhere. Good luck prevailed again for the refugees; we had enough medical staff aboard. They, however, now had their hands full, so it was our job to assist them. Quennah hadn't been this busy since the day we left our home world.

When the rescue was finally over and all two hundred and sixty-eight Medans were secured, we had over five hundred people aboard, with the rest being made up of only a small portion of kennar Fargann! It wasn't that we didn't have enough room for everyone—on the contrary, Quennah could have taken in twice as many people. All the quarters are spacious and everyone has their own private area. This is what a small class ship is.

The commotion eventually calmed down, and the crew resumed their usual activities.

I found Eyuran in the recreation room down the hall from the infirmary. He was sound asleep in one of the big, soft chairs. I stood watching his calm and relaxed face for a moment, and I thought how stupid and selfish my request had been at a time like this. With a nagging feeling of embarrassment I went to get a blanket. I tenderly covered Eyuran and, without a second thought, I also got underneath, wrapping myself and squeezing into the chair right next to my cousin. He moved a little, but didn't wake up.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, nuzzling into his shoulder.

He was very warm and soon I, too, fell into a deep sleep.