Episode #52

Before Father made his move, Eyuran had already returned the suit to Baro, and it was better this way. It surprised Father, though. Of course, he still didn't know who the original owner of the suit was... But he could easily figure that out. Danger, danger!

My use of rabhain would also easily make him suspicious, so I had to inform Father about the loss of my Node like it was no big deal. He didn't say anything for now, but the sticky feeling of something unspoken between us persisted. Yet something inside me couldn't stop lying and avoiding telling the truth.

Getting ready to board Bradoh once more and packing our remaining things, my spouse followed me closely, carrying stuff and helping me to accommodate it. Father and Baro were in the cockpit, checking and adjusting the system.

"Eyuran, if we ever get out of this alive and in one piece, I never, ever, want to sleep alone!" I turned to him. "It's not like you'll never get tired, is it?"

He didn't blush this time—he wasn't nervous anymore.

"I won't keep my hands away," he replied. "More so when I might not be the only one to do that eventually."

"I'm not letting you keep those clothes on then!" I declared, breaking his calm.

"I don't have them on anyway now!" he said, smiling and blushing a little.

"Right now doesn't count! Right now, even if it's just in my thoughts, I want to be with you. I never know when this last bit might be taken away from me."

He took my hand, lifting it to his face, and kissed it. "I know this feeling well."

"For a long time I've wanted to ask you, what will you do if I fall in love with someone right in front of you?"

"I'll fall in love with you even more." A playful spark appeared in his bright eyes.

I smiled and blushed. "How do you know that?" He had ways of getting me too excited!

"With every person you fall in love with you become even more beautiful. I know your feelings for my dad. That's why I can tell for sure."

My cheeks flushed remorselessly. "How long have you known?"

"Always. He and I, we both got the same amount of attention from you."

"I expect to build a powerful crew; I require the strongest core I can possibly bring together."

"I'm always ready to serve you with all I have, Falaha," he said. And grinned. "So please figure out the difference between a theory and a hypothesis already."

"Eyuran." I poked him in his stomach with my finger. "Your courtship skills are still terrible."

"Oh. Did I summon a teasing firestorm again?"

"You are enjoying those, aren't you?"

"If they come from you."

"We're done here," Father called.

"Coming," I responded, taking Eyuran by the hand.

All set, we were finally good to go.

Eyuran and Baro, which side would they take when the time to answer some delicate questions regarding our wellbeing came? Their recent behavior was extremely suspicious.

Still, did something happen to Father's original suit as well? An accident? Was there a huge fight with Baro's people? It's not like these two were to talk about their collision of interests anytime soon either.

And now wasn't a good time to ask my questions anyway.

Sixth day of ninth week, year 267. The largest rescue operation in the history of the Commonwealth was about to begin. Unintentionally, my crew and I became the key figures in it, since we were the only ones available to assist Father on this side now.