Episode #67

"We must turn around," I said. "Someone should inform Tagai, too. Though I don't know what to do with him in this situation."

"All he needs to know right now is that we have a change of plans," Father told us. "Depending on how the situation develops, we'll know what and when to tell him."

Well, that was one way of doing it. A moment later Bradoh was back in our ship's Control Center.

"So, where to?" Father asked, picking me out of the cockpit.

"I think we should check that storage locker."

He smiled, looking me in the eyes. "Very well, then."

"Tagai," I called when standing on the floor. The Baal turned to me. "Come with us."

"Where to?" he asked.

"We need to talk to someone. You do want to see him, don't you?"

"Ah! I do." Good.

We entered the hallway and proceeded to the storage. If my guess was correct, Wen was still there, waiting. I caught Eyuran's hand and he squeezed it softly. My hand felt cold and sweaty against Eyuran's warm and dry.

Father led the way. Watching his massive figure and broad back added to my courage. Baro walked at my right side, Tagai a few steps behind Eyuran on the left, until we finally reached our destination.

We entered the storage. Father and Baro approached the lockers. The remaining three of us stopped a few steps behind them.

Father turned to look at me. I nodded. Then he took a step to the certain locker door and opened it. The person inside gasped, startled. An electric ball of shiny white hair attempted to dash past my father, but got caught.

"Oi!" Father tried to hold him in his hands. "So lively!"

"Ah!" the kid screamed, trying to break free. "Ah!"

"Hold on, little guy! I won't hurt—ow!" my father yelled and dropped Wen. "He bit me!" The Maok immediately distanced himself from all of us and stuffed himself into a corner, his big eyes, now crystal blue, were full of tears.

Everyone was caught by surprise, even Tagai. Father stood, inspecting his bitten hand.

"Kieren-rjg? You all right?"

"Yes, I am fine. His heart was racing so hard—I think I scared him too much, though I did not intend to." He turned to us. "Uh, so sleepy—" Father mumbled, his pupils dilated. "Wha—" The next moment he took unsteady step to side, his eyes rolled up, and he fell to the ground.

My heart jumped cold. "Father!"

"Uncle!" Eyuran was already near him. "Uncle, do you hear me?" My spouse looked at me, troubled. "He is alive and he appears fine, at least that's what the Node stats tell, but it is the first time I've seen something like this."

The Baal stared at us, terrified, but finally shook off his shock. "Ah! Please, don't worry! Nothing bad will happen to Yajur Kieren—" He turned to the little Maok. "Wen, these people won't hurt you," Tagai told the frightened child. "Come here, I won't hurt you either. Calm down, calm down—"

"Ah! Uuuh—" Wen was weeping in a corner with huge tears rolling down his dark cheeks. "Uuuh—we sorr—uuh—hick!"

"Will this kill my father?" I asked, staring at the Maok. Wen shook his head, denying.

"Uuuuuh—but—hick—but—uuh—he sleep for some time." He allowed Tagai to approach him and take into his arms. The Baal gently hugged the kid, patting him on his head, and then carried him to me.