Episode #15

Eyuran absolutely must not engage the armed Medans in combat. I was not willing to see him end up like Uncle Orewen, or worse.

A year ago, Eyuran had had a fight with the son of my mother's friend from the neighboring kennar. Though the boy was older and bigger than Eyuran, even the adults had trouble dragging them apart. Eyuran had almost killed the boy, beating him to a bloody pulp. Needless to say, I was in the middle of all this. The other guy was completely at fault. Still, even I got chills down my spine when I saw the look of fury come over my cousin's face at the sight of my broken knee. In the end, I had to use all my snot and tears so Eyuran wouldn't get strictly punished for what he did.

Since then, Eyuran has been without the combat Mod of the siSystem; it was removed completely. No one had believed he wasn't using it in the fight and even accused him of manipulating the logs. Had this been proven to be true, Eyuran's punishment would have been far more severe. Right there and then, however, Orewen stood up and demanded that the Council remove his combat Mod too. After removal he said he would gladly punch anyone in the head and see if they survived. As he had been the one to teach Eyuran to fight, that should have proved his point that his son was capable of fighting without a battle system. This produced a huge uproar as it was a loud and clear statement that he had been insulted by the accusations that his son was lying.

Orewen comes from a line of strong, proud and respected people; his reputation of honesty and integrity is widely known. Considering the fact that both 'boys' were actually legal adults already, the so-called 'victim' had to take responsibility as well. As Orewen put it, doing stupid shit and hurting girls were perfectly good enough reasons to have an adult male's head torn off and he had absolutely no right to object because his parents had failed to properly deliver this message to him. Arguing with Uncle Orewen is like hugging an avalanche. Further debates over this matter could have led to a conflict with the most powerful Danna kennar. So everything ended quietly with both father and son disarmed.

But I can tell you for sure that Eyuran has never told a lie in his entire life. This is how they both are. My cousin was very upset at what he did in the fight. Assaulting a person, he might have lost his place among rescuers; killing a person, he would have been stripped of all substantive rights, shaming his father greatly. Yet he was unable to tolerate rude and violent behavior towards me. His heart was torn into two.

Our destinies seem to be tied so closely together; everything that happens to Eyuran and his father is usually my fault. There is also another side to our relationship. The day of the fight incident I discovered that I had Falaighnn. I feel that with them by my side I can become stronger.

I'm going to rely on my blood.