Episode #27

The screeching noise from the other side of the transport gates pierced the cargo bay. Something or someone was trying to cut or graze though the heavily armored hull, hitting more strongly and loudly by the moment. The armor would give the enemy a hard time, but it would break eventually.

The sound of closing inner gates dulled the clangs, and I heard Aona's sharp voice: "Hey, bloodless guy! I don't have time for a damage report, but we're sitting dead here. Get your ass up, take Falaha and climb into this." The emergency lighting switched on, illuminating the ship with a low greenish light, and I saw her near Bradoh's open cockpit. "Hurry!"

"What? No!" I tried to stop the Medan as he dragged me by the hand towards the machine. Displeased with my attempts to slow him down, he lifted me in the air and carried me the rest of the way.

"Be quiet, rjgnis."

He climbed in and Aona helped me up as well. The Medan put on the rabhain and connected with the machine, starting the engine.

"Bradoh has the location and all the codes for Kan Diona, but you will need Falaha's soma as a pass. Depart immediately. I've stocked supplies for sixty days, so you will reach the place without running out of anything. Upon arrival Anika Yarenen Falgh is your person to contact. Good luck."

Aona jumped off and the hatch closed, cutting off all external sounds. The cockpit lit up with the control lights. Our helmets and gloves sprouted on, switching the suits to closed life support cycle.

I was sitting on Baro's lap, my back resting against his chest. The Medan was adjusting the dive geometry. I connected to Bradoh so I could observe everything with its outer sensors in my siSystem. And then I saw Rifa, Eyuran and Orewen running into the cargo bay. Aona was standing beside the Medans, who saluted silently and with some kind of resolve. Why they are doing this? It looks so stupid and out of place.

"Dive-point set." I heard the machine's cold voice. "Path set. Synchronizing entry and exit points."

Eyuran waved his hand at us and smiled. Orewen was smiling, too. Like they always did. It was the last thing I saw before everything disappeared.

That's it?

A few seconds later, we were in space, with the enormous snowflake-shaped Harvester vessel before us and far enough away to observe it in full.

It was perfect to focus on. I had to focus on something other than their faces.

Now that I think about it, Quennah is of a similar shape, only many times tinier. Both Harvesters and Hunters use almost the exact same technology we do. Even the ships' designs are eerily alike.

That's it. Keep going, Falaha. Think. Don't let it get to you, no matter what.

I shed my helmet and gloves. So did the Medan, switching to the on-board environment.

"Baro, how many people were left on Medas?"

"Why are you bringing this up now?" Hands on the controls, he was adjusting our course, preparing to set off for Kan Diona.

"Why? It's obvious. Just look at that thing! It can hold a lot of people. Come on, turn around. We're taking it."

"Rjgnis—did you hit your head somewhere during the fall?"

"Baro, did your balls crack after my kick? Do as I say or I will destroy this machine now!"

"Spoiled brat talking."

"Coward!"

"Well then, tell me how you are planning to get rid of who or what is inside that thing first?"

Instead of a reply, I followed his right hand movement closely, and, without a further thought, I bit him on the thumb, clenching my teeth as hard as I could until he screamed with pain.

"Crazy girl! Are you trying to infect me with your insanity?" I let go, leaving bleeding teeth marks on his white skin.

"I'm not giving in to a person who understands nothing about the Ancestor!" I shouted. "And I'm going to live as I want, not as someone tells me! I'm not asking you to come with me! Drop me off and go anywhere you like!" I was getting louder and louder, until Baro yelled too, smashing the instrument panel with his clenched fist.

"No means no! You will get yourself killed just like her!"

"But I'm not her!" I jumped on his lap, smacking him in the face with the back of my head.

Baro became quiet. There was an irregular and faint tapping sound on my suit's left shoulder. The Medan was breathing heavily and, even through my suit, I could feel his heart pounding from the blood-boiling anger. Yet he only said, "Sorry."

I took a tissue from my pocket and held it out to him.

"So, with this level of determination you people wanted to return to Medas?"

"I have no soma or special powers, rjgnis. At this point I don't mind being called a coward either." He sighed. "Very well, I'm dropping you off. Do as you please. Taking their ship on, even with Bradoh, is impossible. So I'm taking my last chance to leave alive."

I nodded.

"I understand. And I thank you, Baro. I'm overriding the requirement for my soma, this machine is yours now. What is your full name, so I will remember it?"