Episode #73

Korredhann eventually gave up annoying Eyuran and my spouse let him go.

"So, Arann," I said, as we continued our walk towards the Control Center. "Your family left Dannan almost a year ago, your ship was supposed to reach Kan Diona soon. Tell us how you ended up in this Enclave. According to your condition you were placed in a cocoon roughly five days ago."

"Wrong," Arann replied. "My father's ship was supposed to provide support for your father's crew. The meeting spot was a safe distance from Klia, where we had been stationed to observe the preparations for their evac, but we were discovered during the raid on their system. Roughly five days ago."

"Oh, well, I see. But why were you there? Weren't you supposed to be sent to Kan Diona? It was mandatory for every person below the age of fifty."

"How could I agree to such thing, when you both were left behind because of our conflict? I'm well aware that Eyuran never used his combat Mod in our fight—yet no one listened to me at first because of difference in our physiques. I know I'm not the best man to say this after letting my anger out on you and hurting you, but I feel like you always look down on me, Falaha. What is it I lack as a male, that you wouldn't even consider me?"

I stopped and turned to him. The others stopped too, caught up in the moment. Something had to be done about this persistent young man before it dragged on and on for days.

"Arann, you are misunderstanding. I refused you as a Commander; I haven't refused you as a man—I never looked at you as a potential partner, but not because of that knee trauma or that I don't find you attractive. I do, in fact. Yet I like my men in a group. Of course, I would consider you if you wish to join my household, sharing it with the people already present. Otherwise you have my official refusal."

I said all this being dead sure Arann would never give up commanding his own ship. Hence, my refusal would be a tactful one—each of us had things we would never give up, no matter what. Everything we always fought about silly with each other. No force in this Universe would make him abandon the dream he had been nurturing since long ago. Though I had to admit, he'd grown into a fine man. However, apparently I ended up in the wrong Universe, because, staring me in the eye, this man, usually violent and rude, quietly said, "I accept your proposal."

For the first time in my life I stood speechless. I glanced at Eyuran, helpless. My spouse was in the same state of confusion as myself. The thing that just happened was both exciting and scary, rousing the familiar feelings of anticipation, worry, and longing at the bottom of my stomach.

Technically, Arann was now my second spouse.

Another swirling bedhead at that!

How did it come to this?!

"Aa!" I ravaged my hair with my hands. "How dare all of you drop on me so suddenly?! I don't have time to assign bedspaces now!"

Angry not, our Falaha, all young, they want live a lot, they all smell death, they agitated.

"Bedspaces?" Puzzled, Arann looked at Eyuran, who stood with a stone face, then at Baro, who gave up explaining things to anyone, and even at Tagai, who had his concerns with other things and had a vague understanding of the situation. No, Arann, no, that last guy is here for another person! "There's much to decide?" he asked.

My first spouse shrugged and told him, "You are always like this. At least know what you are getting into first, you bloody Brother. It's complicated."

Calm down, Falaha. Calm down.

I took a deep breath, turned around and walked away, saying, "We end this discussion now. You are free to continue when we are done with our small problem here."